Clutch cable sticks

fazer1

Hello, I have a 2009 FZ6R that I've put different handlebars on that sit lower but more forward than the stock bars.

Everything was fine for a while, then all of a sudden (as the weather got colder) the clutch cable is sticking horribly to the point that I have to push it out to get it to engage.

Prior to adjusting the clutch cable at all, when I bought it used, the screw on the clutch cable that adjusts lever play was screwed out quite a bit. A few days ago I took the cable off and shot some lube down it until it came out the bottom where it connects to the clutch. After putting it all back together it's actually sticking worse now.

I'm wondering if the spring is shot that helps pull it back, if I need to remove an inch or so of the cable and it's housing due to the new handlebars, or if these things go out and something about the cable and it's tube have deteriorated so that it needs a new cable/tubing setup? I've attached some pics of my setup so you can see the bars and how they sit.

Also, if anyone recommends any after market brake/clutch levers and cable's please do share the name. Thanks.

Attachments

blkbrd

Elite Member

fazer1

I used "Bide Aid Dri-Slide lube, it seemed to help briefly but then it stuck worse after an hour or so. It's to the point that if I'm at a traffic light and try to start in first gear, I can let the clutch out and it sticks before it will begin to engage to move. I have to use my fingers to literally push it out.

Do you think this amount of time sticking will affect the spring quality that pulls the lever back out after using the clutch?

If I have to replace the tube and cable, how do you recommend I look to purchase one so that it's the correct length- assuming I need a slightly shorter than stock cable? Any recommendations on cables/tubes that will help keep this from happening again?

fazer1

figured it out...

Turns out the clutch cable is a little frayed down at the bottom from what I can see- I haven't taken it off yet. But, something caused the clutch lever itself to be the part that stuck. It accumulated some grime inside the casing and around the bolt, and also probably the drop in weather temp by a bit causing it to contract.

I cleaned it and loosened the bolt and it's working better than when I got the bike. I ordered a new cable and also have some JPR levers coming so when I get that on it'll be set for a bit :)

tractorboy

Re you sure its the cable. My daughters Ninja 250 I thought was doing that...then my brother sputtered something about the clutch basket can wear grooves and not always allow the clutch plates to compress back together when shifting...

Turns out , he was right....the side of the metal clutch basket where the plates go against it wore grooves.......I grinded the basket flat as so far all seams well. I guess a way to look at it is when the clutch sticks is the bottom lever that goes into the clutch housing keeping it from retracting all the way or is it trully the cable.

Just food for thought.

If I could remember theres something on youtube showing it. Will try to find it. Here is a bit about it on a dirt bike.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEV7sEZsVZE0oAr90PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=motorcycle+clutch+will+not+fully+disengage+=+Youtube&fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt#id=8&vid=3075ed62f54af480c461abf4a8290050&action=view