Chuffing sound during engine braking - normal?

dekaliber

I think this is probably just me being new to motorcycles, but I notice that when you let off the throttle, especially in the first few years, there is a significant engine braking effect with a very mechanical whirring/chuffing sound. I figured this was normal since I've experienced it since day one.

I'm about a month into ownership with around 350 miles. Does this go away more as the engine gets broken-in? Haven't changed the oil yet, but I will probably do that soon myself before the 600 mile service.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It's normal. I actually use engine braking a lot, so I've gotten used to it. I have almost 14,000 miles and no problems with engine braking.

Deanohh

These engines make a lot of mechanical sounds that you'll get used to hearing without worrying about it. Its the sound of a healthy engine singing.

XTRAWLD

My old Ninja had so many incredibly weird sounds coming from it when riding, you get used to them eventually.

It would also talk when sleeping in the garage. The FZ has yet to do this..... I kinda miss it.... lol

dekaliber

Haha, good deal guys. Thanks for the confirmation. On my cars I felt like most of the whirring sounds in low gear came from the differential, so that's what got me wondering. Went on a nice ride after work today. It was great!