Changing oil and washing cars

fltdriver

SO... yesterday I had the day off and figured I would wash my bike. Just as I was getting done my girlfriend got home and asked if I would wash her car too. So I did, as I was pulling it in to the garage I noticed it was kind of ticking. Checked the oil, nasty and low-time to change it for her. This got me started on a run of washing and changing oil. After 4 oil changes and 6 washes I had washed the last car and was pulling it onto the ramps to change the oil when I heard a loud noise.

WTF?

I'm walking around my firbird trying to figure out WTF happened. I make two circles and still can't figured out what happened. I went to open the passenger door to set the E-brake when I notice that the window is no longer up. Pull the door panel off expecting there to be shattered glass all over but luckily the window didn't break. The regulator came off of the door and the only way to get it back in is with a 1/4" rivet. I'm not that familiar with rivets but apparently this is a big one and no one around here has a rivet gun that will do 1/4". Auto zone has one that they have to special order so I can't borrow it, and don't want to drop $40 on something that I will use for 5 minutes then never pick up again.

Why couldn't they mount this thing with nuts and bolts like every other thing on the car.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent-feeling pretty butt hurt right now. Just dropped $130 bucks on oil and filters and now I'm gonna have to blow another $40+(7% tax) on a freakin tool that not only will I only use once but I will have to wait 2 days to get it- of course they are calling for rain the next 2-3 days.

I know it could be worse, but dammit I want it to be better.

Ok, done moaning and groaning and off to give my money away.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

MC#4

It's just faster for the factory to use rivets. I always just drill the rivets out and then replace em with short bolts/nuts. You should use some loctite on them too so they don't vibrate loose. I can't say 100% that it will work for your car but I have done it a few times on other cars.

BoneJj

and there it is...

45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit

17.00 bucks.....

Edit:
This might actually be the one you want, a blind rivet tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-17-1-2-half-inch-hand-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html

a couple bucks more but has 1/4 size and comes with some as well.

EDIT, again:
Both might actually work, IDK, you'd have to ask someone else on that... I'm not that familiar with the threaded ones. I'd have to ask my father about them as he might know more about them.

Last edited:

fltdriver

Looks like I'm gonna just bolt the regulator to the fiberglass inner door. But I have to pick up some sheet metal first and fabricate a plate to bolt it to. There are several write-ups online as this seems to be a common problem with 93-02 firbirds/camaros/firehawks.

fltdriver

I did the sheet metal plate repair yesterday and it is working so far. Pulled the regulator/motor out removed the old rivets and jackets, ran to the hardware store and bought a 12"x24" piece of 1/8" galvanized sheet metal and 4 gr5 bolts, 4 locking nuts and 4 washers for a grand total of under $12.

All in all it took me about 2.5 hour to reinstall everything by myself (retracking the rollers alone was a PITA)

BoneJj

I did the sheet metal plate repair yesterday and it is working so far. Pulled the regulator/motor out removed the old rivets and jackets, ran to the hardware store and bought a 12"x24" piece of 1/8" galvanized sheet metal and 4 gr5 bolts, 4 locking nuts and 4 washers for a grand total of under $12.

All in all it took me about 2.5 hour to reinstall everything by myself (retracking the rollers alone was a PITA)
sheet metal plate repair, wth his that?