Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

So, I purchaced some Blue Speigler SS lines for both the front and back.
With the current temperatures, I am leaning towards just having my shop change them for me. They quoted me about $50 to install the complete set and thus also bleed and install new brake fluid.

IF the temps warm up before my tire install appt on the 20th, I might want to try doing my own brake lines. I do however have two questions about doing this job.

The rear resevior is under the seat and behind the frame. Do you unscrew it and tip it under the the other wires to get it out and fill it up. Then tip it back over and under the wires to get it back in position to bolt back into position?

Then there are also things like "snap connectors" that hold the wire in place in a couple spots. (I will try to take a pic when get home). There is 1 of these on the back brake line and I think 2 on the front. I am not talking about the ones with screws on. How do you open these snap shut hose holders to get the brake line out. I am also wondering could I just cut this off because the will be way too big for the new lines. Thanks
be very careful, brake fluid is highly corrosive, you get it on your fairings itll bubble the paint, and itll take the paint right off your wheels.

CrazyCawi

Well Unfortunately I dont know if I will try it myself.. Even something as simple as the coolant change that is due this year. Forcast has changed and now this weekend they are calling for temps in the 30's and more snow :( on sunday. Cant do it saturday because I have a carry permit class. Next saturday is my appt for the tires 12k checkover (have 700 miles left on my oil), but will change that on my own before I actually ride. Even w/ an insulated garage, not being heated, my hands will go numb. If I am lucky and things change I will try it, but not holding my breath.

I was concerned about the extra stopping power on the rear also. I figured though that I can just go to a parking lot or up/down my street and play around getting used to the new feel and where begins to bite. EVERYWHERE, says you should replace the rubber hoses every 4 years. I looked at the prices and saw that the back Speigler SS was actually about the same price, if not only about $5-10 more. I figured do this, learn how to modulate the pressure on the back and I wont have to replace the back brake lines again no matter how long I own this bike unless something happens.
you might have a misconception about what brake lines do as well. Brake lines wont give you more "bite" or make your bike brake any harder than rubber hoses, what they allow you to do is to get more feedback and feel from your brakes. If your looking to increase braking, you would replace the pads with a double scintered or race pad, or kevlar/organic pads.

danieljardim

easy enough to do, but at $50, that's not a skyrocket price either, depends how much you trust their work...

and exactly what JT said, remove the reservoir and put it back, it's held on by one screw on a strap if I remember right.
I agree, for $50 bucks I would let them do it.

$50 here at the dealer is less than a half hour labor.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member