Change headlight bulb without removing front cowl?

iSpoolin

Just wondering could you change the headlight bulb without removing the entire front cowl off the bike? I'd like a simple 5 minute process instead of a 30-40 minute one :(

Deanohh

Just reach under there from under the front without removing anything. You have to do it "blind" but get a good mental picture of what you're doing and you can do it by feel. Unplug it, pull the boot off (you might have to pull the boot off first, I forget) and unlatch the retainer..... the worst part of putting in the new bulb is not to touch it with fingers and the 3 lugs to align it have to be in the right position with the big one in the correct slot. No big deal.

Last edited:

Sage

yea i was hoping not to remove stuff, but from what the manual says, the lower cowl and the right fairing and your have a good shot. I like that better than taking the whole front end apart to get to it lol

Deanohh

Yeah I read the manual about removing fairing and cowl and you can do that if you want to but I'm lazy and didn't want to bother so I just reached in there from the bottom and took the bulb out and put in a new one.

iSpoolin

Yeah, you can get to it, I would recommend taking the 3 plastic pieces off around the tank, that would give you enough room to maneuver
Thats what I was hoping for, I'm putting my new mirrors, new turn signals, changing my HID bulb today so I was hoping i wouldn't have to dissasseble the whole bike again!

Hopefully my pink headlight will be fixed after this, Josh from Kryptonbulbs said he believed it was just the bulb.

motoguy82

I put in a GE Cool Blue H4 (or H3 whichever it is) w/o taking anything off. It's easy, just like 'deanohh' said. Did it all from above, no issues....took about 5 min.

Roaddawg

I put in a GE Cool Blue H4 (or H3 whichever it is) w/o taking anything off. It's easy, just like 'deanohh' said. Did it all from above, no issues....took about 5 min.
I third that. Changed mine out twice without removing anything but the rubber cover over the bulb.