Chain maintance

AfDevin86

Chain maintenance

So I need to adjust and clean and re-lube my chain. I just really need to know what tools I need to get that rear tire in the air. I don't see a spot to get a bike jack onto and I don't see a mount for Swingarm Spools to get a stand onto. I just need some good ol fashioned help.

Thank you~

C

CHEMIKER

Re: Chain maintenance

So I need to adjust and clean and re-lube my chain. I just really need to know what tools I need to get that rear tire in the air. I don't see a spot to get a bike jack onto and I don't see a mount for Swingarm Spools to get a stand onto. I just need some good ol fashioned help.

Thank you~
The FZ6R doesn't have a center stand?

C

CHEMIKER

No. . . =(
I didn't realize that, but it makes sense given that the exhaust is right there. Sorry to hear that; I'll be interested to hear what you come up with. I can't imagine you're the first to try to lube the chain.

If it were me, I'd clean and re-lube the entire bottom exposed portion of the chain, move the bike to expose another 1/3 of the chain, and so forth, until it was finished. It's not the most elegant way to get it done, but it will get you through for now and then you can search the interweb and ask around to see if someone else has an idea.

Good luck!

S

shuckle

To lube my buddy's chain (Honda Shadow Ace Spirit - or something like that) I spray the exposed section, then roll it back 4 feet and repeat. For adjustments(chain tightening) it doesn't HAVE to be off the ground, just ensure you are rotating the adjuster nuts the same amount on each side.

In the old days, my fz750 didn't have a center stand, so i'd just put a standard jack stand on the swing arm on the right side, then lift the left side up on to another one. Not very graceful but it worked.

O-turn

Partier
I had mine on a stand last night for its first service. I bought a universal rear stand and it worked great.

O-turn

Partier
Universal Stand, made by LP something, bought it from a friend for $40.

Hellgate

The FZ6R doesn't have a center stand?
I was just thinking the same thing. For street use a center stand is a God send.

A

abacall

I used the wipe-and-roll method on my old Ninja too. Not the best, but it works. Just be careful with over spray, you don't want to roll the tires onto the lube drips.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What stand, and how did you actually get the bike onto the stand with no spots for swingarm spools.
Here are some spools for the XJ6 that should work for the FZ6R. I am thinking I might get some. Then any universal stand that uses spools will work.

W

Wildcard

just do as others have said, roll the bike to expose a new section of chain. not that bad.

O-turn

Partier
Since Im not to sure of all the correct names, the two black bars that extend back to the rear wheel, the flat supports went under each side, push the stand down and the bike comes up.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Since Im not to sure of all the correct names, the two black bars that extend back to the rear wheel, the flat supports went under each side, push the stand down and the bike comes up.
If I'm following, yes, that is how the stand will lift the bike.

AfDevin86

So you literally rested the bike on the swing arm? I have never done that. That is a steel swing arm, you nock off that paint and it is RUST city.

C

CHEMIKER

Is your rear axle hollow like on our FZ6's? I have about a 16 - 17mm through-hole on my rear axle. I would buy a thick steel rod, insert it through the axle, then use the stand to lift up on that.

Has anyone done something like this? Is what I'm proposing too sketchy?

O-turn

Partier
So you literally rested the bike on the swing arm? I have never done that. That is a steel swing arm, you nock off that paint and it is RUST city.
My bike never sees rain as it is garaged unless its nice out. And the rests have rubber on them, no metal to metal contact.