Chain Cleaning - Kerosene?

Bloke

Last edited:

BoneJj

LOL, you asked for someone to show why WD40 might be bad. I did so. I could end this post here.... But I won't.

Here's a quote from the article you linked:

I must caution you that the use of WD-40 for cleaning motorcycle chains is controversial; some say that it will degrade the lubrication that's sealed behind the O-rings of the chain at the factory.

It's hard to know whether this is fact or fiction without some scientific evidence, but it sure seems to me that WD-40 must be better than a degreaser, which by its nature is designed to remove grease. I honestly don't think that the WD-40 gets past the O-rings.

Pretty strong statement, right? Except that my point was that WD40 degrades the O-rings. It doesn't have to get past them. It's the darn O-rings that we're worried about.

Yep, I'm busting on you, but I'll be honest and say that I don't think kerosene is perfect either. I've got just a little over 12k miles logged on fuelly, and even with my relatively religious chain cleaning, I've got sticky links. They're not stuck, just sticky.

What I do think is that even though kerosene has gasoline in it (which will degrade the O-rings) I don't think it's as bad as a degreaser. Which contrary to the article you posted, WD-40 actually is.
You read something wrong here.... I never asked anything. So don't try to call me out on something I didn't do. Secondly I never have trusted WD-40. It is designed to penetrate and I don't want it penetrating the seals of chain... hence why I stick with the recommended kerosene to clean the chain then I use good ole motul chain wax and I've been good with that for a number of years. Never even had to change chains on a bike.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

Oh damn. Sorry, man. I must have quoted the wrong poster. The thread has gone so cold, I'm not going back to figure out who I meant to quote. My bad. Sorry. :eek:
no worries.