Chain Cleaning - Kerosene?

Y

yellowfz

Dude mine was 10 times worse than the one in that link (not proud of it) and with the Citrus Cleaner it just melts off there, sparkly clean with just some light scrubbing and spray with water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mtn Rider

Good Link for Chain Mtce

No pun intended, but IMO this link gave a comprehensive unbiased overview of chain cleaning and maintenance.

Understand Motorcycle Chains @ CyberPoet.Net

Note the part on how you can damage a chain by improperly cleaning it, not just the solvent, but the using a too stiff of brush.

Also thought it was good info to look for signs of leaking o-rings but watching for a red tint on the links.

legioss

I can attest that kerosene works really will! I have been using aerosol type clearner and it did good job, enough to see the grim (sp?) or dirts removed, but never really really clean around the rear sprocket.

I then purchased kerosene from Lowes (where i live, kerosene are seasonal item and only sold year around at hardware stores) and tried it out. After working on it for 20 min or so, the chain and sprockets were all shinny, litterally.

As others have said, use a spray bottle to splash on the chain. I then cut a coke can in half and pure some kerosene in it, just enough to dip a brush. I mainly use this to dip my brush to remove dirts etc, w/o having use the same dirty brush to scrub and have it drip down on sprackets.

Also grab the a Dupon Telflon can or two to use as a lube. It has kept the chain lubed and cleaner, much better than what i have been using, which cost almost double.

Bloke

WD-40 to clean it; Maxima Chain Wax to lube it. Until someone can prove that WD-40 isn't a safe chain cleaner, I'll keep using it. It's cheap, easy to apply, and works great.
I use it and if you YouTube "driven and ridden how to clean a motorcycle" it's what the autoglym chaps recommend.

Dustin600

WD-40 to clean it; Maxima Chain Wax to lube it. Until someone can prove that WD-40 isn't a safe chain cleaner, I'll keep using it. It's cheap, easy to apply, and works great.
I am an avid WD-40 user. I use it at work and at home as a degreaser and lubricant. I have used WD-40 on my last 3 motorcycles to clean the chains without any problems. I just replaced the chain on my FZ6R after only 14,000 miles. I was trying to figure out why it became stiff so quickly. I did some inspecting and found my O-rings had become brittle. I tried to determine if WD-40 is bad for O-rings by reading online but, couldn't find a definitive answer. I picked up my can and called the number on the back. I spoke to a representative of their technical department. They confirmed that over time WD-40 will dry out rubber and plastic. They recommended that I didn't use it on my chain. That's the only negative experience I've had. I'm actually tempted to give it another chance because it is such an effective cleaner.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

mcjfauser

Are you meant to clean the rear sprocket each time also? As in clean teeth as they become visible during rotation?

Dustin600

Did you use any chain lube after you cleaned it with the WD-40?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

After cleaning in WD-40, I would wipe off as much excess as I could with a clean rag and coat the chain with Bel Ray chain lube. I found this thread in my search for a new chain cleaning solution after reading and being told by so many that WD-40 is bad for rubber. Until now, my own experience has been fine. My bike is garage kept but, I do ride in a lot of rain and my bike sits in the rain at work as well. I believe that was a big factor in my early chain demise.

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas