Cashed up Bogans

dcBear78

First.. Let me translate that Aussie-ism for you...

Whilst not perfect the Urban Dictionary will do:
2. Bogan
Australian term used to describe members of society that are a combination of what the Yanks call Rednecks, Jocks and Trailer Park Trash. most likely found wearing mockies, flanalette shirts and consuming VB (bad Aussie beer). Large amount of bogans can be found living in The Borough, Bendigo, Aust.
Over the last 10 to 15 years Australia has gone through a fairly massive resources boom. This boom has allowed us to largely be isolated from the fallout of the GFC as we are riding the economic growth of China and India and their requirement for mostly Iron Ore and Coal (along with many other metals and minerals).

I have never lived overseas. But I have always wondered about how different classes (for want of a non Great British term) are perceived?

What has happened over the last decade or so is the prevalence and massive income increase for what is essentially menial/skilled labourers. Once fairly undesirable jobs are now highly sought after for pay and working conditions. So much so, many young people are choosing this path rather than tertiary studies.

For example I have a friend of mine who is a 26yo Boilermaker (welding fabricator) working locally earned A$170k this last financial year (A$ pretty much equals US$). Yes, he worked some long hours and on site work, but nothing out of the ordinary for him. He is the leading hand, so his pay is a bit higher. But that is a lot of money for someone who's skill is welding. He did not finish the minimum schooling required in Australia (year 10.. 15yo?) but has now paid off the mortgage on his house (valued at roughly A$400k) and has just purchased some acreage out of town in a beachside community.

Industrial Electricians are marginally paid more than that.

Plumbers, diesel fitters/mechanic and fitter machinists are also raking it in with all the industrial work.

Even unskilled labourers wages have gone up considerably. Where I work the starting shift working wage is A$70k and requires essentially no skills. If working construction you could expect to earn up to double that (but also working much harder and more unpleasant conditions).

There is no shortage of jobs. Not in my area anyway. But then again, where I live has been further insulated from financial issues due to the massive amount of industry and future infrastructure development. In Australia the housing market has stagnated (not crashed). Not here though. Rents and house values are sky-rocketing.

Which is creating a whole new social problem. There is nowhere to live. And what is available is super expensive. We have people sleeping in cars and the local council has had to allow people to camp in the showgrounds as accommodation (especially affordable) just is not available.

So what we now have, is what would be deemed the lower class earning very good money (cashed up bogan). And people capable of tertiary studies forgoing this.

The ramifications of this are at some stage the boom will bust. We will have a massive generation of people who have become accustomed to earning more than they are really worth. And less educated people to help pull the nation out of any trouble.

Sorry for the long post. Just wondering if the same thing happens overseas as it seem like a greater emphasis is given to getting an education in the US.