can one of you take a pic for me?

yillbs

Can someone take a picture of the right side of your bike from the back? focusing on the right side of the rear tire? I just put a new tire on.. and something seems way off. I THINK i put something on backwards. It's a little metal pice about the size of the axle but a little thicker. If i could see a pic, i'd know if mine was put in right.

Thanks whomever decides to go to the garage :p

:D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

yillbs

check bike bandit, they have exlpoded diagrams. also, don't do like I did the last time and not get the rear brake into the slot on the swingarm....
I tried that... to be honest, that's way to confusing lol. the part im talking about i can't even see in that diagram ( but I have looked ). It makes sense to be their, but that's the only piece i can't seem to find out if it's in the right spot or not. i think it's needed in order to pop everything out a bit. but i'm still not sure.

As for the brake thing.. I did that tooo...total failure.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

yillbs

Soooo? Did u have it on right?
Yes. But I'm a till terrified I did something wrong. The tire alignment things are horrible to use. I'm worried the tire isn't even and the chain will come off and I'll die. :( but yeah the pic showed me the part I needed to know about. It's on right

rhnatyk

Regarding rear wheel alignment, take a straightedge (like a steel ruler) and place it flat against the rear sprocket. You can then sight along it from the rear and it should become obvious if it is in line with the chain.

Here's a tool that does the same thing (Access Denied). Watch the video to see what I'm talking about.

You can also measure from the center of the swingarm pivot point to the center of the rear wheel axle using at tool like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dw2RZlUoUY"]Motorcycle Wheel Alignment Demonstration - YouTube[/ame].

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

yillbs

just a we bit paranoid are we? lol
do i feel confident in any work i do on my own bike? Absolutely not. At least I'll say it rather than go out and kill some woman walking her dog. I'll take it to the dealership to make sure i'm not a complete moron.

latony007

do i feel confident in any work i do on my own bike? Absolutely not. At least I'll say it rather than go out and kill some woman walking her dog. I'll take it to the dealership to make sure i'm not a complete moron.
I was just about to say the same thing, this is not a car. If your worried take it to the stealer and have them look at it. Mods like turn signals, bar ends, frame sliders and oil change is about as far as i am willing to take it, anything else im just not mechanical or comfortable enough. Hell the whole reason i bought a brand new bike was i didnt want to worry about it falling apart underneath me.

yillbs

I was just about to say the same thing, this is not a car. If your worried take it to the stealer and have them look at it. Mods like turn signals, bar ends, frame sliders and oil change is about as far as i am willing to take it, anything else im just not mechanical or comfortable enough. Hell the whole reason i bought a brand new bike was i didnt want to worry about it falling apart underneath me.
Agreed!

It's just my local dealership charges you labor for EVERYTHING, no flat rates. they charged me 1 hour labor for an oil change, 30 minutes to tighten my chain, and then i paid for the materials, and then got taxed lol. it was like 140 bucks for an oil change, and a chain lube / tighten ( that was without the actual oil and filter ). then they charged me 100 bucks to change my tire ( off the bike ), because instead of being normal and having a rate for it, they just bill you in labor for everything. Want them to look over the bike ? 1 hour labor cost lol. IT's sad, it makes me hate going to them, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It's the second dealership like this ( seems to only be yamaha with such shitty standards at that ). but yeah, I agree, I'll get it done. thanks again for the help fellas.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Cmon guys, it is great if you can do it yourself and want to do it yourself and I reccomend that everyone learns how to do (atleast) the basics.
But dont rag on businesses because they charge.
They usually have big overheads and have times when money doesnt come through door at all.
All of which & they have to pay the workers wages.
How much would you winge if your boss said he couldnt pay you for your work?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Good point. I do often wonder how some businesses stay afloat lol
In Aus standard practice is to charge 3-4 times the hourly rate of the people doing the work plus parts/ disposal. This all depnds on how big the business is, if they own the property & how many/ if any admin or extra staff they have.

Not only that, I know how much I get paid per hour and how much I charge as an hourly rate for external work.
In which case I weigh up how time it would take for me to do something (if I was being paid at my rate) plus materials/ disposables Vs how much a workshop/ dealer will charge for the entire package.
For big jobs that require me to do research and learn how to, it doesnt prove cost effective use of my time. But if it is something I want to learn I will give it a shot. Small simple jobs or things I am wanting done in a particular manner I will always do.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

FastFreddy

Yes. But I'm a till terrified I did something wrong. The tire alignment things are horrible to use. I'm worried the tire isn't even and the chain will come off and I'll die. :( but yeah the pic showed me the part I needed to know about. It's on right
Are you talking about the spacer ?

The small end goes in towards the hub and the big end points out.

I've been hands on all my life, so for me $140, I could have bought a paddock stand and some "synthetic" oil.

If in doubt, take it to the dealer as you did.

I ignore the tyre alignment marks and use my eye and bit of builders string (fluoro yellow) pulled tight from the front tyre (down low to clear the bodywork). I've got a good eye though, from drawing over the years. It's easy to see with the string method if the rear wheel is misaligned.

FastFreddy

The rear alignment marks can move when you tighten the axle on the FZ6R.
Whereas the Supersport style ones can only move in one direction and are more accurate.