Caliper mod

How-to or no how-to

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cezell09

Well I've searched the forum and haven't found anything but anyone interested in a how-to on painting the calipers? I've decided to paint mine to add some color and was wondering if I should take the extra time to do a how-to.

So what do you say?

daddyrack

Premium Member

6R Blackout

I would be interested in a how too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

fz6guy

i dont need it but il say yes for the people who want to do it. remember its all about how you prep your parts that you want to paint. ive painted car calipers many times and as long as you do it right you wont have flaking and discolouring.

cezell09

Okay. After heeding Marthy's advice I've done a lot more research into it and it is possible to paint anodized parts with special prep. I've read that baking the paint in an oven works and I've read using primer first will work. Since I don't want to remove the calipers completely to pop them in the oven, I will do some more research into the primer and try to find a high heat primer to see if that will work. I will figure this out, damnit! (i know its spelled dammit but i like this spelling better.)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

See red

To be honest powder coating is an effective way, and much more durable as well. But if you like the honda gens. look go for it.

You could always be pissing in your own cheerios but don't be mad if it tastes funny..... LOL! powder coat them, it is cheap, less time consuming and will look better... up close included.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

SO no one has looked at the calipers on my ride? They are RED, I used caliper paint (Dupli-Color or VHT) that is used for automotive applications, go figure.
Powder Coating would be best I agree.
Click on first link in sig.
I removed them, cleaned them ( used Orange cleaner, leaves no residue), masked them off, pistons, bleed valve holes, used a liquid sander or any deglosser will do (available at Home Depot, Lowe's, makes tacky and etches surface) and painted them.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezell09

SO no one has looked at the calipers on my ride? They are RED, I used caliper paint that is used for automotive applications, go figure.
Powder Coating would be best I agree.
Click on first link in sig.
I removed them, cleaned them ( used Orange cleaner, leaves no residue), masked them off, pistons, bleed valve holes, used a liquid sander or any deglosser will do(available at Home Depot, Lowe's, makes tacky and etches surface) and painted them.
That's exactly what I am looking for! How long ago did you do it and has there been any fading or discoloration?

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

That's exactly what I am looking for! How long ago did you do it and has there been any fading or discoloration?
About, a year and still just as bright as day one, so no, no discoloring.
I saw a friend do his calipers on his truck with this stuff and was impressed, that was 5 years ago and they are still bright.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

The main problem with powder coating brake calipers is that it greatly reduces the cooling properties of the rotor. As for the actual caliper paint.... I might give that a shot!

cezell09

The main problem with powder coating brake calipers is that it greatly reduces the cooling properties of the rotor. As for the actual caliper paint.... I might give that a shot!
Go for it! Here is the How-To that I made. I love it. I think it looks really good on the bike and I haven't had any problems with it so far.