Buffalo, NY to Las Vegas, NV

Thinking about riding to Las Vegas starting in mid October. My bike has a LeoVince exhaust and power commander. Anything else you would recommend? I have a driven +1 sprocket I am going to install.

Windscreen?

Luggage? (economical)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

Make sure you've got good rain gear. Riding in the rain isn't so bad if you're dry. It get's old real fast when you're soaked to the skin.

+1 on the windscreen. A Puig racing or DB screen will work if you plan on cruising at under 80mph, but if you like to ride faster, something like Marthy's will be a godsend.

Good wind and waterproof gloves. Cold hands are not just a pain, they can be dangerous if you have to react to something quickly.

Wondering if I should consider heated gloves and a heated vest under my regular riding jacket. Also should I purchase a set of motorcycle pants/jeans or just wear regular jeans with thermals underneath. I plan on doing the +1 sprocket and servicing the chain in the next few days. I was thinking about sending my stock seat out to Spencer to get modded. I am not looking to spend a fortune but will spend some money to make my trip more enjoyable.

What is the best bang for buck in luggage?

Chucker

Wondering if I should consider heated gloves and a heated vest under my regular riding jacket. Also should I purchase a set of motorcycle pants/jeans or just wear regular jeans with thermals underneath.
The heated vest and gloves certainly wouldn't hurt, but might be a little overkill if you aren't riding at night.

I would definitely get pants. I have Scorpion Deuce overpants and love them. The windproof liner is removeable, they are comfortable with and without pants underneath, and have knee and hip protection. They also look good if you're walking around. You'll be surprised how much warmer your knees are if you have knee protection. It helps with the wind.

Okay I need some help planning my route to Las Vegas, NV. On Google maps it suggests I-80E (2,272 miles) to get there. I was thinking of leaving mid October and by then the weather is Buffalo will be a bit cold along with the northern part of the US. Does anyone have a suggestion on a route that will take me South first for the warmth and then west maybe through better scenary? More mileage is no problem because I would rather ride longer and more comfortable than being cold

The heated vest and gloves certainly wouldn't hurt, but might be a little overkill if you aren't riding at night.

I would definitely get pants. I have Scorpion Deuce overpants and love them. The windproof liner is removeable, they are comfortable with and without pants underneath, and have knee and hip protection. They also look good if you're walking around. You'll be surprised how much warmer your knees are if you have knee protection. It helps with the wind.
Thanks for the advice.

What does everyone recommend for foot wear. Currently I ride locally with sneakers and most of the time with over ankle leather boots

See red

I have Speed and Strength, I have a waterproof pair, and a breathable pair. I love em both. moment of truth and coast is clear

Last edited:

raybob

Suggest a southern route through Roanoke, then west through Memphis and Albuquerque. I hate riding through Ohio - they depend way too much on LEO revenue.

If you ride during the day, you'll be fine without electrics. Winter gloves - yes. Buy a rain suit. Even if it doesn't rain, you can wear it over your jacket and pants to cut the wind chill. For a trip to Gerlach, NV from Alabama in October, I took just that (leather jacket, summer gloves, winter gloves, rain suit) and was fine on a YZF600R. You should also take a cell phone and a AAA or AMA card with motorcycle towing coverage, a flat repair kit (gummy worms and a means to reinflate your tire), and some chain lube and the tools needed to adjust your chain in a motel parking lot.

For boots, you should wear something sturdy with ankle coverage. I wear a pair of Wolverine 6" work boots for most of my riding. I wore Aerostich Combat Touring Boots for three Iron Butt rallies and loved them but they are a bit pricey.

Sounds like fun. Try to hold on to your money in Vegas - they are expert at emptying wallets. Don't ask me how I know.

Bob

Thank raybob and keep those suggestions coming. I will have to buy a pair of winter gloves, and currently I have an alpinestars stunt textile. I hope it is warm enough with the liner. A tire plug kit is a great idea, I could use the co2 inflator from my road bicycle. Any idea how many 12 gram cartridges I would need?

Things I still need to purchase or have done:
Puig windscreen
Spencer seat mod (or other suggestion)
Larger tank bag
Large tail bag
Soft side bags (not sure if I need them)
Riding pants (not sure jeans will cut it)
Rain suit
Cruise control device
USB power outlet for phone

raybob

Any idea how many 12 gram cartridges I would need?
Probably none (that is, you probably won't have a flat, but if you do, you'll really appreciate having the ability to plug it). The guys I've met who carry them carry 4 or 6. I quit carrying them and instead bought a little 12v air compressor from harbor freight. Depends how much room you have.

Be careful you don't overpack. This is hard to do. But, you'll find you have little need for more than one or two spare changes of clothing.

One trick I learned was to keep a box in your closet. Whenever some piece of clothing wears out to the point that you're about to throw it away, put it in the box. When you go on a long road trip, take those clothes. Wear 'em and leave 'em. Probably a bit late for this to do you any good this year, but perhaps next year. Go pick up some cheap worn out (and hence disposable) clothes at the local thrift shop for your trip.

In either case, you can rinse stuff out with some shampoo or bar soap in a hotel room or campground sink before you go to sleep and it'll usually be dry by morning. Less clothes means less weight/mass to pack.

If you're like me, you'll just ride 5-10 days without changing anything and people will look at you like you're absolutely mad. Which is surprisingly accurate. :)

Large tail bag
I really like the Motofizz camping bags from Aerostich:

Medium Motofizz Camping Seat Bag :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Bought mine from England before Andy started importing them. Had to pay that blankety-blank VAT.

Bob

Jay S.

On top of what has already been said...here is my .02 cents worth.

I've done many multi-day trips and you will have plenty of space with saddlebags, tailbag and tankbag. Here is my "usual" setup for traveling.

Tank bag: Bottle of water (in case of emergency), tire repair kit with co2 inflator, allen/hex wrench kit, cresent wrench and a gerber/leatherman multi-tool, couple of dishrags (mostly to clean faceshield everytime I stop for gas), camera, extra t-shirt or two that I keep on top of everything else to make the bag soft if i want to lean on it because you'll want to change riding positions every so often to keep you from getting saddle sore.

Tail bag: rain gear, bike cover, chain lube, extra bungee cords, wire ties, and extra pair of jeans, underwear, t-shirt, and socks.

Saddlebags: Whatever clothes you are going to need for the trip.

My thoughts...

Drink a bottle of water at every gas stop, even if it is not hot out. The bike/wind will dehydrate you quickly so stay ahead of the water. Walk at every gas stop as well. I mean that! Get the blood flowing to your legs. Walk around the gas station while drinking water...that's how I roll. I also check the security of my luggage at every stop, trust me, I learned that one because some stuff has come loose on me in the past and actually fallen off...ugh. (hence the extra bungee cords in my tail bag)

On the Fizzer, I stop for gas at the first station I see after hitting 100 miles. I know many might disagree, but that is usually about 90 minutes in the saddle and I'm just under half a tank. If you are not on an interstate it could be 40-50 miles before the next station so 100 miles is playing it safe. The NEXT station after I hit 100 miles...if that makes sense?

I cover and lock my bike at night no matter where I am and I always get a room where I can see the bike from the window and it's even better if you can park near a poll or fence to lock the wheel to, well lit area as well. Again, others will disagree but I can't imagine being far from home and walking out to a missing bike, insurance or not, that would be a major pain in the buttocks. I cover the bike in case of rain because a wet bike in the morning sucks.

First thing every morning, whilst my brain is fresh, I look/feel the bike over, check for loose bolts/screws, throw a light coat of chain lube on every other day, check the lights, cables, fluid levels, etc. Basically a T-Clocks inspection. I then load the bike up, pull it to the front of the hotel, go inside and eat the free breakfast (sweet!!!) and then look my luggage over one last time before getting on the road for the day.

Before you leave town the first day, make sure you have your registration and insurance card (figured out this one the hard way as well).

If your luggage is soft, put everything in bags...the gallon sized Ziplock bags are awesome and garbage bags with pull strings work great for clothes. Hopefully your soft luggage will also come with rain covers. If so, keep them easily accessible, usually in a pouch on the front/back/sides of the bags themselves.

If it looks like rain is coming, cover your bags and put on your rain gear early. Don't wait for the first raindrop to hit, otherwise you might be putting on raingear over wet clothes...which sucks times 10!!! (another one I learned on the road) Gear up as soon as your gut tells your brain "I think it might rain."

I don't usually eat heavy on riding days. Small breakfast and coffee. Light snacks at gas stops, water and nuts or beef jerky, and then a nice big dinner which will put me right to sleep after 10-12 hours of riding. I also look for a hotel with a pool and hot tub. Both will feel great after being on the bike all day. A swim makes my body feel great and then soak in the hot tub.

Take a couple motrin (or whatever anti-inflammatory you prefer) every morning with breakfast and again mid-day. This is a tip I got from another long distance rider and it is worth it's weight in gold! It will keep the body from feeling so beat up at the end of the day. (a couple drinks with dinner does not hurt either...just sayin')

Look for a hotel with a restaurant inside or next door. It's nice to not have to ride anywhere after unpacking the bike and ditching the riding gear. Just walk to dinner if possible. I usually don't plan my stops and ride until I'm ready to stop and I normally look for a hotel on the far side of town so I don't hit much traffic in the morning on the way out of town. That sucks to get on the bike only to spend the first hour getting out of town.

Ugh...I'm sure there are plenty more tips you will get from everyone else here and I have some great touring forums I could refer you to if you want to get more info from some long distance beasts! Shoot me a PM if you like.

I've babbled on enough...if nothing else, just enjoy the ride, even the crummy parts, because when it's all said and done, you won't regret one single bit of it, you'll even be more proud of the crummy parts.

:)

Oh yeah, one last thing, if your trip time permits...always take a picture at the moment you decide you want one. If you think "something like that will come along again." You might be wrong. Hehe. Take the picture at that moment or it may pass.

I'm out for real this time.

Josh

Last edited:
Well still trying to get everything together and the bike off the swing arm stand. I hope to leave this Sunday or Monday.

I got my seat back from Spencer, Burnsmoto USB cable (still need to install), the Cortech Tribag system and a new Joe Rocket jacket.

I never could find a Puig screen so I am rocking the stock one to Vegas. I still need to purchase a rain suit, but they are hard to come by around here. I also need to get warmer gloves and possibly a larger tank bag. I currently have the Joe Rocket Manta and I know a local shop has the Manta XL which is a good bit larger. As for gloves the same shop has Cortech Winter Scarab gloves which I might pickup

Jay S.

I'm excited for you! There is not much that excites me like a road trip on the bike. Have a blast!!! Hope to see some pics and a report when you get home. (I'm a bit jealous)

:D

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm excited for you! There is not much that excites me like a road trip on the bike. Have a blast!!! Hope to see some pics and a report when you get home. (I'm a bit jealous)

:D

Seriously, I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks I plan on going through Amarillo on my way to Nevada

Jay S.

When? That is about 5 hours from me. Depending on the date maybe I could head up there. Heck, it's an excuse to take a long ride! Maybe grab some lunch or coffee?