break-in shmake-in

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Halon

A few things; of course we don't have many ponies to lose or gain based on break in - so yeah every pony counts... But for my break in I just focused on changing gears alot and not going over 7000 rpms. I saw that it advised not to go over 5800, but even in 6th you can't get anywhere on the freeway at 5800 rpms. So I just rode my bike responsibly as I could and now that I'm past 1k and my first service I still ride it mostly tame, but now when I rip into 5 digit rpms I can feel it pull smoothly. Maybe it'll cause problems later in my bikes life, maybe not. If it does by that time it'll be a great time to decide if I want to keep my baby or move on.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

arkkornkid

over all these threads I keep seeing the very vague "extended period of time" ....my question is what is everybody's definition of this?

during my break-in, I had no choice: I had to get on the interstate to get to work because I have to cross the Mississippi River every day. I think of extended period of time in the range of 3-5 miles.... which in my case I would just roam in the slow lane and drop my speed down for a mile and then get back up to speed for a few more.

I've just recently broken the 1,000 mile barrier and ride it like it's meant to be.... as I've done on previous bikes and I've never had any engine problems, including oil consumption or smoking of any kind.

But like in the OP, I've heard from many people to change the oil early and then ride it the way you're going to always ride it.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

streetmaster

The mechanic at my dealership just said "ride it like ya stole it!" Just dont let it labor & try not to over rev. Also always warm the engine before riding, at least a couple of minutes, while putting on your gear is good enough.
I'm a mechanic at an engine reconditioners working on all sorts of engines. The oil in the engine prevents any metal to metal contact. So what is there to break in? Bearing races (balls etc.) are polished to 4 microns, so nothing to wear in especially with the oil film between all moving parts.
The biggest killer of all modern engines is lack of oil changes & falure to warm the engine before use.
Factory recomendations are just to cover their own asses! Ever seen videos of bikes coming off the assembly line & they test them to red-line through all the gears?? Interesting!!
Just my (professional) $.02

Last edited: