Brand Loyalty

Kspalla

Out of couriosity and because it is very early in the morning and sometimes that is when i do my deepest thinking (when most tired), How do you guys feel about "brand loyalty"? Is that something that most people just disregard anymore and im just being old fashioned or do you give a company or product that has proven themselfs in the past the benefit of the doubt?

IE: Yamaha- i had to give them a first try when it came to choosing my first bike because i was rebuilding a 1982 maxim 650 untill an unfortunate situation happened (but thats for another thread all together) and i lost her.. Loved working on that bike and learning about the history and pride behind Yamaha, also loved the FZ6R when i saw it prestine on the show room floor! Done deal

Was something like this a factor in your decision?

Or is the next best thing gonna make you jump ship?

creggur

I love Hondas, but if there were another bike by a manufacturer that suited my needs, or tugged at my heart-strings I would certainly consider it. Actually the Super Tenere has my attention, especially after getting the FZ6R for the wife. It's a lot of bike for the money and my guess is the S10 will be as well...

Halon

I got the bike mostly out of convenience; good financing rate, good price, and i was approved on credit. It was either this or the kawasaki - and i didn't like the cluster or the feel of it on the floor as much. I actually was in the market for an sv650 and just couldn't get approved. I don't regret my decision at all though, I'm extremely pleased with the yammi and would I consider stepping up in the yamaha line? Yes. Would I go into debt for another yamaha bike? Probably not.

At this point the only bike i'd go into debt for is a benelli TNT cafe racer 1130... :drool:

Stephenfz6r

I believe that most manufacturers in Japan offer good quality so brand loyalty is not important to me. I've owned models from Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and now Yamaha and for the most part they were good as each other although the Honda's I had did present the most problems. The next bike I would like to get would be a Ducati but I know that the maintenance costs are high and I don't want to spend time working on it or having to bring it to a shop. The FZ6R is a great bike and fills my requirements.:Sport:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

this is my first bike so there was no loyalty involved. actually, when time comes to upgrade, there is no reason for me not to shop around b/c i have no experience with any other brands.

as with vehicles, i started with a chevy, then a new pontiac. i then went to new f150's (two in a row now) and i am satisfied. when i bought my current one, i didn't even look at other brands, i knew what i wanted. One factor that helped me decide, i have yet had to take either of the ford trucks in for a warranty or service problem.

Roaddawg

I'm fairly strong with brand loyalty, but I'm also flexible.

When it comes to bikes, this is my first true bike. I owned a Suzuki dirt bike when I was a kid and I got a hand-me down Honda Sabre 750 that needed too much work, that I never got a chance to enjoy it. So, I would say, I'm open to most manufacturers of bikes still, but if I was split between a Yamaha and another bike, I would probably go with the Yami since I've enjoyed this one so far with no problems.

When it comes to cars/trucks, I've owned many different makes/models over the years. But if you were to ask me to choose, I would call me a Ford guy for American cars, Honda for Japanese cars, and Porsche for European cars. But, again, I'm open to others, but if split between a decision, I would go with the ones above, because I've never had issues with them in the past.

MikeN02

Brand Loyalty for me. Yamaha's all the way, hated the screws and bolts on the kawasaki, how they position components on their bikes.

Alpinestar's, Dainese, K&N, Amsoil etc.

Fogride

I'm an old racer. There is no brand loyalty on the starting line, only what's the best bike that gives you the best chance to take home the trophy. I might choose different things for the street, like price,HP, handling or even comfort. I think on this little bike you get a great price, reasonable handling, comfort, and low HP for the new guys. It works for me.

Kspalla

Brand Loyalty for me. Yamaha's all the way, hated the screws and bolts on the kawasaki, how they position components on their bikes.

Alpinestar's, Dainese, K&N, Amsoil etc.
Like Mike here there are several other "Brands" out there that we probably don't think much about when we are buying but like this quote K&N, Amsoil, Bridgstone..... ect you get the point its not just what brand bike but what you buy to maintain it. Most have learned from experience or from failures and sucesses of others (like on these forums) and have made their own decisions based on that.

I learned about half from others and half from experience, mostly because im not all that experienced with two wheels.
There have been multiple debates on what air/oil filter is the best and what oil to use when.. this isn't getting into all that but we all have some preferances. lets hear some...

Im open to trying other brands of bike/car to see if there is something that fits or works better for me just havn't had many opertunities yet.
Would love to ride a ducati, or MV Agusta that would be sweet

K&N, Fram, Mobil 1, haven't had to change any tires so i have no idea what i will choose. Don't want just anything sitting on a shelf at wally world if i know a brand name something has worked well for me

Kspalla

Oh and i just ordered a battery tender jr because im leery about alot of the other brands and don't want to take a chance on something hurting the bike from over voltage, but i heard alot of good things about these and so i purchased one for my Yammi

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

elpasofz6r

Rode a 82 550 Maxim bought it from an old guy down the road for $30.00 only had 1950 miles on it, rebuilt the carbs and put almost 10,000 miles on it before dumbass in car pulled out in front of me. sad day but i walked away with a few bruises and he walked away needing a drivers side to his car.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

k6gad

In the last 10 years I have had eleven different bikes from four different manufacturers. Each bike had their strengths and weaknesses. In the end for me it came down to which bike could do the most things the best. If I was Jay Leno ....I'd have one of each, LOL. If someone builds a better widget I'm in.. so I guess my answer would be no particular brand loyalty. : )

Jay S.

I grew up riding Kawasaki dirt bikes (family brand loyalty I guess). My first 2 street bikes were Honda's, both used. When I was ready to buy my first new bike I felt compelled to own a Kawasaki since my Dad was such a huge fan. Got me a new 2008 Vulcan and put over 10K miles on it without one single problem. The bike ran flawlessly. When I decided to get into sport-touring I knew I wanted a 600/650 and I tried very hard to convince myself to get a 650R Ninja. However, every ride report I read seemed to point out problems with the bike, most of it minor, but if I'm buying it, I don't want even minor problems. I read many reports that made me consider a Suzuki GSX650F and even got to ride a friends and really enjoyed that bike too. After a ton of reading reports from various magazines, websites and even forums like this, in all the 600/650 shootouts, the Yamaha always seemed to edge out the rest, plus Suzuki didn't bring any new bikes in so that ruled it out for me. (man that was a long sentence). Honda was not offering anything in the 600/650 range other than a supersport either.

Long story short, I bought my first Yamaha, a new 2010 FZ6R, and I have ZERO complaints. It is the most fun bike I've ever owned and I forsee many, many, great miles on it. :) So, I'm surely not biased to any one brand, and I feel that all the major Japanese manufacturers put out a quality product.

vinhdiezel

I have no brand loyalty for bikes, its more what looks better in my eyes at the time of purchase and price. For my next bike it will have to be a step up from the FZ6R in maybe 3 years and at that time I would probably buy a used R6, Zx6R, Gixxer600 or 750, and CBR600rr for cheap.

ME_with_a_B

Seeing as how I already have a Yamaha (FZ6R) and a Suzuki (GSX-R), and now I want to buy a Kaw, LOL -- for me there is no loyalty when it comes to bikes.

Cars, however, are another story. I drive a VW and I love my car. Love-love-love it to death. I will totally buy another one when the time comes.

I also happen to be a big fan of Michelin tires. I have them on all my bikes and on my car.