Brake lever travel

mikey

Hi guys,

I have an XJ6N ABS (UK model).

Ever since I got the bike I've not been very impressed with the brakes: especially the day I picked it up after nearly colliding with a car bumper...

I usually have the brake lever adjustment set to "1" (furthest out) because I noticed that on every other setting if I give the brake lever a sharp squeeze (when the bike is stationary) I can get it to touch the grip. I can also actually do this on setting 1 if I give it a really hard tug.

What makes me think it's not air in my lines is the fact after a 1.5 cm of movement it's pretty hard to keep pulling, but you can keep pulling it.

Braking performance on the road is OK: if I give it a good squeeze with four fingers I stop quick enough (the front end dives), and the lever doesn't go to the bar of course.

I had a careful look at the fluid the other day, it's about the colour of red wine... is this normal?

I had a look at a Triumph Street Triple 675 in the dealership the other day and I noticed I could barely move the brake lever 1-2cm before it became rock solid, I appreciate the 675 has radial Brembo brakes and we have sliding calipers (but still Brembos?)... but surely there's something wrong with my brakes?

Does your brake lever move as much as mine?
Does my fluid need changing?
Is there a possibility of dirt in the pistons which would mean I could fix my brakes with a good clean?
New pads maybe?

Thanks!

Last edited:

blkbrd

Elite Member

mikey

Thanks! Ah sorry it's a 2013 bike and I don't thiink the fluid's been changed.

I really wanted to put SS lines on it but I don't think it is possible with the ABS bikes? Thanks for the pad recommendation.

Thanks! Ah sorry it's a 2013 bike and I don't thiink the fluid's been changed.

I really wanted to put SS lines on it but I don't think it is possible with the ABS bikes? Thanks for the pad recommendation.
Flush the brake fluid and grease the slide pins with a light layer of grease. I had the same problem, lever felt nice and sharp when I was at a stop but as soon as I moved, it went soft. Greasing the pins helped the most.