Brake fluid everywhere!!! What now?

davet7469

I just got done upgrading to some stainless steel brake lines, but in doing so, i kind of made a mess. The fluid reservoir spilled a bit when i removed the cap. It was my first time doing it, so i was a little less cautious then i should've been when removing it. Point is i got brake fluid all over and it being corrosive, it left dots all over the speedometer, inner panels and a little bit on the fairings. Fairings and inner panels are no prob, had to do some touch up painting anyway, so now its just a little more work, but what do you think i should do about the speedometer? I was thinking maybe replacing the plastic screen over it, but not sure how i would get one without buying a whole new piece that could be pricey. I could leave it as a reminder of my carelessness. Any helpful suggestion? Thanks for any input.

Sorry to hear that! Nasty stuff brake fluid is. If the marks on the speedo aren't deep, there's a product called "Polywatch" that MAY help. It's intended for polishing acrylic watch faces which scratch easily.

If the marks are deep, like it's pitted, probably nothing you can do about that other than replace it.

That's all I got, hopefully someone has some other ideas.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

davet7469

Thank you, so far i've tried scratch remover for cars and car wax, no success yet. I'll let you know how the watch scratch remover turns out when it comes in the mail. Also note to self, putting the bike on the rear stand before would help level it out.

This might seem over kill, but its the same process, just a bit more aggressive.
Mask off the good area of the speedo.
Grab some 2000/2500 grit wet dry sand paper and wet sand area. Next use rubbing/cutting compound and polish. Now use fine polish. It will come out but the downside is these parts have some UV protection that keeps the sun from yellowing it. You may need to touch up polish the area on occasion or clear coat it.

If clear coat is an option, use 1500 grit, wet sand the whole thing, dry it and clear it. Done. No buffing.

Works on yellowed head light lens too.

eNigma17

This might seem over kill, but its the same process, just a bit more aggressive.
Mask off the good area of the speedo.
Grab some 2000/2500 grit wet dry sand paper and wet sand area. Next use rubbing/cutting compound and polish. Now use fine polish. It will come out but the downside is these parts have some UV protection that keeps the sun from yellowing it. You may need to touch up polish the area on occasion or clear coat it.

If clear coat is an option, use 1500 grit, wet sand the whole thing, dry it and clear it. Done. No buffing.

Works on yellowed head light lens too.
I don't think it's overkill. I think it makes perfect sense! :thumbup:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member