Braided Brake Lines

cbzdel

Anyone bought a set yet?? I have been contemplating it but cant decide if they are worth it..

xplodnstar

Have you had any instances where you just wish could stop a little faster and more stable?

Yes - Get them they are totally worth it.

No - Get them so you never have to experience it.

:)

I have the SS lines AND pads, but I think the lines alone made a big enough difference for me for peace of mind. I say go for some red ones for your bike.

cbzdel

a front are rear seat will be about $150 shipped.. and I would get a black line with red fittings :)

Now I have to decide whats more important, brake lines, or a rear tail bag...

xplodnstar

No need to upgrade the rear lines, just makes the rear tire lock up easier. Black with red will look real nice.

Hmmmm, safety or cargo space? If you want my vote, I'm happy to send you an extra backpack. :p

cbzdel

No need to upgrade the rear lines, just makes the rear tire lock up easier. Black with red will look real nice.

Hmmmm, safety or cargo space? If you want my vote, I'm happy to send you an extra backpack. :p
I figure if I do the front why not do the rear as well, because I plan on keeping this bike until it no longer is worth fixing.. Or I look like a total goof riding around an ancient sport bike hah..

regular lines need to be replaced every 4 years but braided lines never need to be replaced...

Guess you right, I need to choose safety over cargo hah.. Plus I could use the added stopping power when I ride two up....

xplodnstar

You can always get something cool like this for your stuffs....;)

phocoyote7

Oh man I need that backpack, I could just imagine the peoples thoughts seeing me with that on my back :rof:

CHriz6

With cars braided brake lines are a big no-no because they flex alot.
does this not apply to motorcycles?

joloy133

With cars braided brake lines are a big no-no because they flex alot.
does this not apply to motorcycles?
Braided steel lines do not flex! For motorcycles, with heat/hi temps regular lines could expand making brakes feel spongy and necessitating stronger grip pressure and lever travel. Braided lines keep consistency in brake pressure and feel as well as maintaining a stronger grip.

cbzdel

I am ready to order the brake lines now, yet I was looking at our stock liners, and noticed there is a rubber/plastic sleeve over most of the line. I am guessing this is to protect it. Would there be a reason to still have this on with the braided lines?? I decided I want the smoke lines with the red fittings :)

Check it out, you can make the lines you want and see them..
Spiegler Performance Parts

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! Let us know how they work out!

GoGreen09

I totally forgot about this post! I scheduled my 4000 mile maintenance and ordered upgrades for my brakes for when I hit Infineon next month. I went through my dealer, and I didn't even ask anything about color.:(

xplodnstar

Some manufacturers don't have color options. They work the same in red vs. silver, so you're not missing out on too much. :)

cbzdel

liar.. black and red always are the best in both speed and stopping :)

xplodnstar

You only say that 'cause you haven't ridden the white one yet. :p

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

Tijeras505

I just installed Spiegler lines for the front. They are thinner and more rigid than the stock lines so they don't move around much to rub against anything so I don't see a need for the additional protection.

However, there are three hold down locations for each line that attaches to the bike through a rubber grommet to keep the lines from rubbing against anything. Spiegler only included two grommets on each line so I had to cut off two from my original lines and put them on the new ones, so you may want to make sure you get three grommets on each line when ordering. You will also need to cut one of the grommets to have a flat edge since one of the holders is built that way; I believe it is the first one coming from the master cylinder.

You may want to take a look to see how your lines are currently being held down and routed.

I ordered them through solomotoparts.com.

OTTF

I have also been checking into this option and I found some Galfer lines. Which of the two manufactures would be a better option Spiegler or Galfer since I am not familiar with either.

Tijeras505

I have also been checking into this option and I found some Galfer lines. Which of the two manufactures would be a better option Spiegler or Galfer since I am not familiar with either.
Galfer's are very good. Never used them so that's about all I can say. The Spieglers have a lifetime warranty and the ability to turn the banjo connector on the ends of the cables 360 degrees so you don't have to twist the lines themselves to get them to fit.

Here's a link with video and information from Sportbiketrackgear. Although I bought mine at solomotoparts.com.

Spiegler Brake Lines | Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines | Spiegler Brakes

xplodnstar

I got the Galfers. I love the stopping power they added and I would definitely recommend them.