Bought a Buell...

Bigevildoer

What can I say...
I was offered a hell of a deal, and I just couldn't turn it down...

Brand new 2008 Buell 1125R, black and blue...

Regular retain price in Canada - $12999 + taxes, freight etc.
My price: $6500 + taxes freight etc. :D

Bought it from a dealer almost 200 miles away, and they're going to store it for me all winter long in the crate and get it ready to go in the spring (too cold to ride it back at this time of year). It was the last one they had - scooped it from a guy who was going to bring his wife in later today for her approval... I'm such an ass...

Think i'll end up storing it for a year (ride my FZ6R next summer of course) and then start swapping it up from year to year... at least for 4 years from now (that's when my mortgage will be paid off with any luck) - then I'll pay to ride both!

:wav:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Wish I had the cash to go pick one up at the prices they are going for. Of course, it also means that current owners are quite stuck as their bikes now have very little value. It is definitely something you'd buy with the full intention of running it into the ground.

Bigevildoer

According to another HD forum, looks like all Buells are going at %50 off.

Buell closing down!!!!!!! - Harley Davidson Community

Hopefully they continue to service these for years to come, if they don't decide later on to re-open the Buell division.

Have fun, looks like a mean machine.
Believe me - finding the 50% off is no mean feat. I called and emailed about 20 different dealers all over Ontario and the northern part of New York and Michigan States... I was originally interested in the XB12R Firebolt model, as it's a cheaper bike ($10k MSRP vs. $13K MSRP) and because it's covered by my insurance company (the 1125R isn't 'cause it's a true sport bike, and therefore blacklisted, just the the R6 and R1). Finding the 50% off 1125R made my day.

Don't think HD will open the Buell division in the future - maybe Eric Buell will attempt it on his own, but it doesn't appear that way from all the video coverage I have seen.

As for being a mean machine - 146HP will be a blast no doubt... another reason I want to ride the FZ6R for another year - temper the old stupidity (i.e. need for speed).

later!

Bigevildoer

Wish I had the cash to go pick one up at the prices they are going for. Of course, it also means that current owners are quite stuck as their bikes now have very little value. It is definitely something you'd buy with the full intention of running it into the ground.
Well, I wouldn't say that the value of the bike has crashed -- the dealers are simply clearing them out at ridiculous prices. I think the value will correct itself within the next year or so...

the other bonus about the 2008 model is that it's the official 25th Anniversary edition - should help retain its' value a little better due to that.

nc_fz6r

Congratz on the bike! Quite a big jump in performance.... Any idea what the insurance will be on that beast?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Well, I wouldn't say that the value of the bike has crashed -- the dealers are simply clearing them out at ridiculous prices. I think the value will correct itself within the next year or so...

the other bonus about the 2008 model is that it's the official 25th Anniversary edition - should help retain its' value a little better due to that.
The guys who own them have already seen NADA and KBB fall about $2500 average almost overnight. That will continue to fall.

I was the victim of a similar event with a mini van several years ago. We bought one that was a great price and gave us instant equity in the van should we want to sell or trade. We drove it for one year and the announcement that it was discontinued came out. Within a week, we went from $4k equity to $7k upside down. Nothing came back either. I ended up having to trade BOTH the van and an older pickup I used for utility work and still put up another $1,800 to get out from under the van and into a good vehicle.

Sorry, but it will continue to fall unless someone revives that company.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Depends on the crowd and if someone REALLY wanted a Buell. Only time will tell.
Me, personally, I get "value" out of something by using it and I usually drive vehicles into the ground (either dead, or repairs start to cost more than value of a new vehicle).
I'm tired of hearing people say they lost money on a vehicle when they don't get money back out of it (not like your case FZ, where you did lose money and another vehicle), after they've had the vehicle for a couple of years and decide to trade it in, not out of need, but wanting a new vehicle.
You've pointed out my exact pitfall! :D I'm always getting new vehicles because I want and not need. My wife and I bought 7 new Toyota vehicles in 9 years. Yes, we sell them and go get new ones all the time. We typically wait until we can break even or someone offers us what we owe so we don't lose money, but we have a few times, especially when we both had Tundra V8 trucks and the gas crunch was coming.

Our intentions with the current vehicles are to keep them and like you, run them into the ground or get some value out of them personally. That goes for the two bikes too.

Sad, it took me until almost 45 yrs old to finally decide to do what I know is right, eh? :rolleyes:

fz6rwolf

I looked at some pics of that 1125 and doesn't look too comfy but looks like it'll move.

Bigevildoer

I looked at some pics of that 1125 and doesn't look too comfy but looks like it'll move.
You're right - it's not a long haul bike - that's why I'm keeping the FZ6R. It'll be my "get out and rip around bike." I don't mean drive like a nut, but when I want to ride something different. There aren't many Buells around here at all, so they really end up turning heads. They have a really distinctive sound as well, so they attract even more attention. Hopefully not the kind with the "cherries on top" though! :eek:

As for insurance (from another response), well, at the moment if it was my primary bike it would be around $2200 a year. As a secondary, closer to $975 or so (we Canadians get ripped by our Insurance companies here :spank:)

Hellgate

You'll be surprised at how comfortable it is for a sport bike. I put on 600 miles the other weekend, no problem. I like better than my old FZ6 in many ways for everyday use.

Make sure the dealer has done the front brake line recall, in the US at least, I'm it's in Canada too. Also make sure you have the 05Z flash. If it is a new '08 you probably have the old 03Z flash, it's terrible. Also make sure they visually inspect the breather hole on clutch slave cover. If it is wet they need to update it from the A kit to the B kit. Rumor has it there is now a C kit. Also, and this sounds stupid, make sure they check your rear turn signals. Then need to cycle them several times. If they check these out you'll be good to go.

Heineken

Elite Member

Hellgate

Not a big surprise they closed down, huh? :))
Actually it was a surprise. Buell closed because Harley decided not to produce them anymore. The day prior to the announcement factory riders were rehired for the next year. This was totally out of the blue. If you look into the quarterly report Buell actually turned a profit. HD simply killed them and put MV Agusta for sale at the same time.

The '09 and '10s are very dialed in. The '08 were released too early. In the US '08s, if there are any left, can be had for about $5,100. If you want to see problems look at the CBR issues.