Boots

DevlDog

So lately I've been looking at some motorcycle boots and I found a pair or two that were within my price range that looked like they would be okay. My biggest problem with the boots(not motorcycle-specific boots), is that they're a bit loose and I really don't feel very comfortable riding with them on. I usually wear a pair of Nike Shox that I have, even though I know it's less safe, because I value being able to actually feel what my feet are doing without the clunkiness of too-big boots.

This is one pair:
Field Armor 2 Boot - Black | Products | Ride Icon

And this is the other pair:
Reign Waterproof Boot - Black | Products | Ride Icon

If you guys have any advice for other brands or about either of these two, please feel free to educate me. Also have a balaclava and a new Q3 rear coming in the mail tomorrow. Found a little belt showing through on like, an eighth of an inch strip right down the middle of my tire when I went to ride to work yesterday :(

latony007

So lately I've been looking at some motorcycle boots and I found a pair or two that were within my price range that looked like they would be okay. My biggest problem with the boots(not motorcycle-specific boots), is that they're a bit loose and I really don't feel very comfortable riding with them on. I usually wear a pair of Nike Shox that I have, even though I know it's less safe, because I value being able to actually feel what my feet are doing without the clunkiness of too-big boots.

This is one pair:

If you guys have any advice for other brands or about either of these two, please feel free to educate me. Also have a balaclava and a new Q3 rear coming in the mail tomorrow. Found a little belt showing through on like, an eighth of an inch strip right down the middle of my tire when I went to ride to work yesterday :(
lot of guys love the full on racing boots that go with their full suits. Comfort to me is the most important. Personally Im more of a cruiser look kind of guy I guess. I wear a armor black leather jacket and like to have a boot I can walk around in when I get where im going without being uncomfortable or looking ridiculous. I like the first set, they are similar to what I have but mine had more lift for a shorty like me. Plus they were around 100. i'll have to find the name of them I forgot. they are shown in my picture.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

xleeb0y13x

I got the icon super duty 4. Love those things. Great protection and once worn in good feel. I also like that they look more like a boot without being to track star ish.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380832925.598789.jpg Only like 140$

Sent while running with scissors.

DevlDog

Well, one of the reasons I was looking at those two boots is that they aren't too much like "HEY BRO I'M A PAIR OF MOTORCYCLE BOOTS".

I ride to school and work almost all the time(save for right now, stupid rear tire -_- ), so being able to have some that don't pop out too much are cool. I'll look into the ones you guys have shown me so far, thanks :) If anyone else has any recommendations I'll take a peek at them.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ylwf3vr

This is one pair:

I bought the first one on eBay for $25 used.. I didn't really like it much.. it seemed too "thick".. (from bottom to top of the toes) to shift..

I was looking at the second ones afterwards but they were charging $40 shipping to Hawaii so I said eh...

Then I saw these used for pretty cheap price so I thought I'd try it out.. coming in the mail

Attachments

ylwf3vr

I got the icon super duty 4. Love those things. Great protection and once worn in good feel. I also like that they look more like a boot without being to track star ish.View attachment 31360 Only like 140$

Sent while running with scissors.
I like the look of these too! But it was bit out of my price range at the moment.. I was just looking at cheap used ones so I know what to get later

latony007

I bought the first one on eBay for $25 used.. I didn't really like it much.. it seemed too "thick".. (from bottom to top of the toes) to shift..

I was looking at the second ones afterwards but they were charging $40 shipping to Hawaii so I said eh...

Then I saw these used for pretty cheap price so I thought I'd try it out.. coming in the mail
you are the exact opposite of me, you want something and you grab the first good looking one. me I sit and debate back and forth each one for 3 months until im so sick of it I don't buy either or I wind up with both!:D

ylwf3vr

you are the exact opposite of me, you want something and you grab the first good looking one. me I sit and debate back and forth each one for 3 months until im so sick of it I don't buy either or I wind up with both!:D
LOL My wife's biggest complaint.. I guess I'm a compulsive buyer? hahaha I'm done with buying things.. spent too much money right now on things >.<

latony007

LOL My wife's biggest complaint.. I guess I'm a compulsive buyer? hahaha I'm done with buying things.. spent too much money right now on things >.<
LMAO its this site, it costs you a ton of money! Too many good ideas. And the really funny thing is that my wifes biggest complaint is that I will over analyze everything I buy which is too much stuff too. When I was searching for a bike to buy by month #3 she was begging me to just buy something and shut up about it !!:cool:

Detrich

Imo, getting used to all that extra material between ur feet & the pegs is part of becoming a better, safer rider. It's a necessary evil.

Initially, yes- all that extra material isolates ur feet from sensing things. But, honestly, u will adapt quickly. And, u'll be better off in the long run. Hey, if MotoGP riders can get used to it, then the rest of us can too.

Re: the two choices u presented... Either one is better than sneakers. The rain ones have a little more shin protection but seem less rigid at the ankles. The buckle ones have less shin protection but seem more rugged. So I dunno. It's kind of a toss up.

I always suggest that u pick the boot that is most rigid and most armored at the ankles and that does not allow side to side motion at the ankles.

A broken shin is a hella lot easier to recover from than a busted ankle, which could have much more complications.

motorcyclegear is having an entry full race boot sale too atm.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/start_10_rain_boots.html

FastFreddy

That Field Armor 2 boot looks good for general riding. Looks like a tough boot that is also "walk around able." Looks like more protection for the ankle than the other.

For long touring rides in marginal weather, the other one would be better.

I went with a race style boot for my first boots when they were on sale. (~$200)

I'm currently most often wearing my new Gaerne's G-Valencia boot to ride to work. I wouldn't recommend for learners though. They are warmer than I thought (not for summer days), and fit fantastic (best ever), I'm still getting good purchase feelings from them a month later.
Gaerne G-Valencia Boots [13135] - $149.95 : Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket for Harley, road & MX motorbikes

Sounds extravagent, but I reckon I probably need 5 boots, full race, winter casual/urban, summer casual/urban, full waterproof tourer and "tough boot not afraid to stomp around in wet paddocks boot".

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

MaximumHP

LMAO its this site, it costs you a ton of money! Too many good ideas. And the really funny thing is that my wifes biggest complaint is that I will over analyze everything I buy which is too much stuff too. When I was searching for a bike to buy by month #3 she was begging me to just buy something and shut up about it !!:cool:
That is me too, I drive my wife crazy over analyzing things till she's like: "Just get whatever you want, I don't care". lol.

I've been thinking about getting these:
TCX X-Move WP Boots - RevZilla

I like that they are a little taller and provide quite a bit of protection even though it doesn't necessarily look like they do. lack of shin protection is biggest protection drawback, but otherwise I'd feel pretty safe in these.

DevlDog

I ended up going with these:
Teknic Chicane Boots - RevZilla

They look a little more race-y than what I originally wanted, but for a hundred'n twenty bucks vs. $170+, they practically sold themselves to me lol. The reviews were also almost all positive that I read, with a lot of people extolling them as excellent boots. Anyone else have a pair of these? Thanks, guys, for all of your input :)

:rockon:

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

fvrider

Riding Boots

Can be somewhat confusing when it comes to a good basic riding boot that doesn't break the bank. There are several great sources - suppliers and reviews - that you can research. I usually start with webbikeworld.com and go from there. For a browse thru a huge variety of boots, try bootbay.com. I started riding and still ride with a good pair of tactical boots - Magnum - there are other brands too. They are a light moderately protective ( as opposed to a dedicated armored motorcycle boot ) very comfortable on or off the bike. It pains me to see - in addition the flipflop and tank top crowd - someone with a nice motorcycle wearing decent gear, but they have on a cheap pair of running shoes that would fly off in a heartbeat if they came off their bike...hopefully not with their foot disarticulated at the same time. Ride safe, dress for the occasion.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member