Bohn Armor Pants

Blackcat

Has anyone purchased this product?
Bohn Armor Pants

I'm in the market for lower body protective gear and this seems like just the ticket. No worries about getting the exact right size or color since it goes under your jeans or riding pants.

Seems like a real bargain at $159 since it includes a full complement of CE armor for hips, tailbone, shins, knees and thighs.

Blackcat

Forgot to mention that I saw DeputyDog tried these last year and seemed to be happy with them.

Was wondering if anyone else had feedback to share on them before I give 'em a shot.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
S

SkyOrDie

The Draggin Jeans liners are another option. They're basically a full Kevlar long-john. Armor is available, but I didn't get that. Draggin' Liners

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Last edited:

Blackcat

The Draggin Liners look like a good alternative. Plus the option to add armor in them is a nice feature too. However, as with all of these products, the chief complaint is that the pads/armor slide around--especially on the knees and shins--and therefore provide questionable protection in the event of a crash.

I did additional searching and found a similar product called Crash Pads.
Crash Pads protective
Looks like I'll have to do a bit more research and reading of reviews before I make a selection. :confused:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Grumpy

I have the Bohns full lengths, good product. You can also get the riding shorts if you want to use different armor for your knees, shins, etc.

redwing-2001

The Draggin Liners look like a good alternative. Plus the option to add armor in them is a nice feature too. However, as with all of these products, the chief complaint is that the pads/armor slide around--especially on the knees and shins--and therefore provide questionable protection in the event of a crash.

I did additional searching and found a similar product called Crash Pads.
Crash Pads protective
Looks like I'll have to do a bit more research and reading of reviews before I make a selection. :confused:
A few concerns:
No mention about using Crach Pads for Street Motorcycling, only wintersports. A premature dismount on a motorcycle is at a much higher rate of speed than snow boarding. Even comparing ski-mobiling to motorcycling is a lot different i.e. sliding on snow vs. pavement.
With one exception (the $99 version) there is no knee protection. Knees get torn up pretty badly in a crash.
No mention about their armor rating. Look for at least a CE rating for motorcycling.

It all boils down to using the specific gear for the specific activity you are egaging in.
when you do your research, I would be interested in how this equipment performed in a motorcyle crash, not if someone is using it riding a motorcycle.

I had the regular bohn pants, they were ok. The thigh and tailbone pads were nice. Although good quality knee/shin pads, they wouldnt stay in the proper place for me. I used to wear these under my kevlar jeans for semi-spiritied rides. I knew I was under protected so I bought a pair of desnigated leather track pants. Now I wear only the kevlar jeans when I want to just cruise around locally, and the leather pants when I am riding spirited or pushing it a bit. About the bohn pants, the padding was prety low key and was not too noticible under riding jeans.

Blackcat

A few concerns:
No mention about using Crach Pads for Street Motorcycling, only wintersports. A premature dismount on a motorcycle is at a much higher rate of speed than snow boarding. Even comparing ski-mobiling to motorcycling is a lot different i.e. sliding on snow vs. pavement.
With one exception (the $99 version) there is no knee protection. Knees get torn up pretty badly in a crash.
No mention about their armor rating. Look for at least a CE rating for motorcycling.

It all boils down to using the specific gear for the specific activity you are egaging in.
when you do your research, I would be interested in how this equipment performed in a motorcyle crash, not if someone is using it riding a motorcycle.

What does an experienced Rider Coach like Redwing recommend for lower body protective gear?????

redwing-2001

What does an experienced Rider Coach like Redwing recommend for lower body protective gear?????
motorcycle specific fully CE armored textile or leather over-pants works for me, personally. I commute during the week so that option is more convenient for me. Lots of good threads on this forum and others with some great advice. Must be comfortable and fit well. The undergarments like Bohn and Draggin' Jeans look like a good idea. Your situation may be different and therefore would have a different solution. As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, do your research, ask quesitons, get advice.

Last edited:

Alex6

motorcycle specific fully CE armored textile or leather over-pants works for me, personally. I commute during the week so that option is more convenient for me. Lots of good threads on this forum and others with some great advice. Must be comfortable and fit well. The undergarments like Bohn and Draggin' Jeans look like a good idea. Your situation may be different and therefore would have a different solution. As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, do your research, ask quesitons, get advice.
Isn't it what Blackcat just did?!

redwing-2001

Isn't it what Blackcat just did?!
Yes, he sure did and that was my point. I answered his question by telling him what I personally wear and noted that his needs may be different. My overall answer to his question was, whatever his choice, make sure it is motorcycle specific. Some of the things in this particular thread do not appear to be motorcycle specific.
My last sentence of my previous post really validated his approach rather than suggesting something to do.
Sorry if I was confusing. You are right, I did not mention a particular brand or model. That goes back to his needs may be dfferent. So, for what it is worth I will be more specific:
My riding is mostly commuting, probably 3/4 of it on interstates. I ride all year and live in North Georgia where I will ride if the temperature is above 25-F (which is most of the time). The minimum temperature on the 6R, however, is 45-F. The other 1/4 of the time I am usually up in the mountains. Ninety-nine % of the the time I am ATGATT. So, for me and my situation I wear the following pants and would recommend them:
for cold weather: Boxer [BP72] - $159.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
for warm weather: Stinger [SMP71] - $149.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
I have a Sixth Gear jacket to match but rarely zip the pants in. There is a Sixth Gear Retail outlet not far from where I live- I met the owner at a local bike show a few years back. I liked the quality/value ratio of his products. I also use a First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket.

Ivan_13

Bump!

Still can't decide whether to buy these or not. They also have the ones that look like fish nets, yet are supposed to be cooler..

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bohn-Cool-Air-Bodyguard-Adventure-Pants/dp/B001T5EURY/]Bohn Cool-Air Bodyguard Adventure Pants - Large : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member