Body Positioning Videos

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

creggur

Great videos! Thanks!!

bjs045

Speaking of body positioning I've been told from several people that "track body position" and "canyon twisty body position" are completely different due to road hazards and techniques that really don't apply.

Twisties:
I've been told when cornering you don't wanna be/look like a MotoGP racer. That technique is for track where aerodynamics are important. You DO wanna have your head higher for better visability for hazards.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Detrich

... and not take your butt off the seat and fall off, but extend your leg and hips... :lol:

makes sense :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Detrich

some more newbie observation from me...

i tried applying some of these concepts during my weekend practice... one thing i noticed right away is that because we're not in a 'leaning down' riding position to start with, the application of extending the knee, arms, and leaning is a tad different from those videos.

when i got onto the freeway and got up to speed, i moved my butt as far back as i could and then tucked down as best i could to mimick the super sport riding position. then on some curvier turns i could feel some difference- ie trying to relax the arms, straightening the other arm, and gently curving the arm on the side of the turn...

it felt very different than our normal upright riding, because it's more like a "rolling" left and rolling right feeling, as opposed to just plain looking into the turn, and moving the handlebars like we normally would...

i actually really liked the feeling and am thinking that in a few months i may opt to lower my handlebars and start getting used to the lower riding position as soon as possible... :p

bjs045

Only things I've done to the bike are to improve its cornering capabilities.

1) Angle the bar down. Didn't flip the risers forward though. Re-align leavers to accommodated.
2) Stiffen up that rear shock. 185-190 pounds, I'm riding at preload 6. Haven't tried 7 (was saving that if I ever ride two up)
3) Tires! I'm running the BT016's, rear up to a 170. The fronts are dual compound and the rear are tri-compound. My bike came with the BT021's sport touring tire and thanks to nails, I've upgraded.

The bike feels completely different, better handling more responsive by far.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bjs045

As you can see in this video there are many variances in rider positions. Some with completely bad positioning IMHO. Like one dude leaning with his head and shoulders lol.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying motoGP positioning is wrong for canyons, but just simply apply the basic technic in your environment.

Many argue knee dragging in canyons shouldn't be done because your not on slicks and the bike shouldn't be leaned over like motoGP riders. You'll see in this video that some guys don't drop a knee and still take the corner just has hard.

Anyways this is a video from youtuber rnickymouse which in a previous thread showed some A-HOLE cager crash into 3 bikes. Good to see nobody wrecked this weekend. Youtubers, I think this guys a "must have" subscription. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfT5WcC4JU&feature=sub"]Mulholland Riders Sunday Oct 24th[/ame]

The Spin Doctor

I'd think most of the technique still applies. The whole idea is to keep the bike more upright so your contact patch is at its largest.
Modern radials have a bigger footprint when deformed on cornering, so keeping the bike upright isn't actually that useful, particularly if you have a dual compound tread. Dunlop Roadsmart is an example.

Detrich

the go-carts are hilarious, and highly illegal on public roads, i might add... lol

the single-file, close formation cornering is also very dangerous in my opinion. if the lead guy spills, the guys right behind his ass will tank as well... it looks nice for the photos, but this isn't really a race track- ie there is other traffic on the road. i think they ought to be more cautious.

Last edited:

Roaddawg

the go-carts are hilarious, and highly illegal on public roads, i might add... lol
It was probably these guys: Southern California Illegal Soapbox Racers S.C.I.S.R.

Actually, those aren't motorized go-carts, but soapbox type/downhill racers. They are not motorized and there is NO engine in them, so its kind of a gray area on if they are illegal according to the California Vehicle Code, because they don't really meet the definition of a motor vehicle. As long as they are not blocking the lane and/or obstructing the flow of traffic, its kinda OK for them to be there....same principle as riding a skateboard on the road. The problem lies when the County/City have ordinances in place. i.e. LA County has an ordinance prohibiting these and skateboards if the grade of the road is more than 3%...so, these guys were in violation of the county ordinance, but not State law...at least that I can see.

I think that would be a blast to do, but on a closed roadway, to make it more fun.

Fenixgoon

i watched those videos earlier in the week and then tried doing a turn with "proper" leaning and all i can say is WOW, what a difference! i *barely* had to lean the bike to take the corner (not that i was pushing it by any means).

Deputyfarva252

You know watching that video it seems like theres half a dozen ways to take a corner and you get the same result , some seem safer then others and something i realize is i should be thinking about getting some knee pads but we really dont have many roads like that here in eastern nc

NoDoze

You know watching that video it seems like theres half a dozen ways to take a corner and you get the same result , some seem safer then others and something i realize is i should be thinking about getting some knee pads but we really dont have many roads like that here in eastern nc
I agree, you should get some knee/shin guards even if you don't have twisties up where you live. A crash is a crash. If your knees and shins are not protected and they happen to absorb the impact of a crash, then they'll be injured. It's better to have them than not.

Take care.

Last edited:

XTRAWLD

Great vids, thanks. My legs are stuck like glue to the tank - probably because in my MSF course to learn how to ride in general - they didn't want our knees to ever come off the tank - of course, teach a new rider how to turn first, before teaching them to really take nice sweeping corners at speed!

Thanks again for the vids compliation.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

i'm by no means exp'd, but my friend Marc (from SCAR) taught me that your inside leg's foot toe tip should be planted on the tip of the peg with your leg extended like a triangle. your outside leg foot should be on the peg on the ball of your foot with the heel locked/ flush to the bike.

he's showed me in person, but i also found a video on youtube someone recorded of him doing a short demo...

watch this video and you'll get what i'm saying... Marc has been riding for like 20+ years, and he drags knee with his wife on the back like it's nothing... he's always doing workshops to help teach us newbies too... all-in-all a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB14B38CU0g]YouTube - ‪Good Body Positioning on the Turns while riding a Motorcycle/Sportbike‬‏[/ame]

I watch those video a little while ago, was good to refresh my mind. Now I have a question for the more experience rider. When I lean, I poke my knee out at 45* or so and transfer some weight on the inside. Not as aggressive as the instructor in the video but enough for the speed I go on public road. My thing is how do I position my foot on the inside peg? Because as of right now my foot point out at 45* and end up rubbing on the ground, just before the pegs does. Just wondering...

At the same time, those video are good to watch every now and then... drive safe!