Bluetooth Helmet

ylwf3vr

I know it's dangerous to wear ear phones and ride.. and some places even illegal. But on my way to work I put on news on my phone to listen to my news for the morning and same on the way back. So it's not crazy head-banging music that drowns out traffic noise.

Just wanted to see if any of you all have a Bluetooth helmet. I just wanted to try it out because I'm sick of putting in my earphones and helmet knocking it out while putting it on etc.. (im lazy lol)

So I bought a Hawk H-6607

https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=146573

to see how I like it. Only thing is that I'm not a fan of modular helmets because I don't know how reliable it is compared to regular full-face helmet in a crash.

I always wear a DOT/SNELL helmet because I'm paranoid about safety.

Let me know if anyone has experience with Bluetooth and/or modular helmets

sammy56

Tons of us have them.....mostly bluetooth add ons like SMH-10 or something.....just attach to helmet.
They work great. If you're a newb (many are on this site), you may wish to delay until you are comfortable with riding first....you don't necessarily need another distraction.

LB

ylwf3vr

Tons of us have them.....mostly bluetooth add ons like SMH-10 or something.....just attach to helmet.
They work great. If you're a newb (many are on this site), you may wish to delay until you are comfortable with riding first....you don't necessarily need another distraction.

LB
Thanks! Is that what you have? I'm a newb to this bike, but not new to riding at all.. never actually thought about having a BT helmet before. Just purchased a Lifeproof motorcycle mount and Lifeproof case for my phone as well.

danieljardim

I have a TORC bluetooth helmet and works great. My older helmet was modular but I didn't like much because the shape was weird and the chin part would be very close to my mouth and i would be (kissing) the inside of the helmet all the time.

latony007

bluetooth reviews!

I know it's dangerous to wear ear phones and ride.. and some places even illegal. But on my way to work I put on news on my phone to listen to my news for the morning and same on the way back. So it's not crazy head-banging music that drowns out traffic noise.

Just wanted to see if any of you all have a Bluetooth helmet. I just wanted to try it out because I'm sick of putting in my earphones and helmet knocking it out while putting it on etc.. (im lazy lol)

So I bought a Hawk H-6607

https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=146573

to see how I like it. Only thing is that I'm not a fan of modular helmets because I don't know how reliable it is compared to regular full-face helmet in a crash.

I always wear a DOT/SNELL helmet because I'm paranoid about safety.

Let me know if anyone has experience with Bluetooth and/or modular helmets
Should have asked before hand lol. this is one im an expert at lol. i have looked at every one that has it built in and I currently have three Bluetooth helmets including the hawk 6607. The Bluetooth works great in all the helmets except the bike to bike which you have to be going pretty slow to hear depending on the bikes involved, say maybe 20-30 but it works crystal clear slow so you can at least tell your buddy hey turn left here. Music up to 80mph on the fz6r easy and calls to probably 60 or more.

Hawk was my first which at first I liked because the blue tooth worked great for music and GPS which I really wanted. Don't want to be looking for road signs while im trying to decide what idiot drivers around me are going to do :) Anyway here are the major drawbacks of that helmet to the point I don't wear it anymore. First its big and kinda clunky and heavy. I love being able to flip up to go into 7-11 for a minute instead of taking it off but it wasn't worth the drawbacks. 2nd they put the speakers in this helmet IN the straps which makes it really uncomfortable. I took the speakers out and kind of Velcro them inside the helmet and that helps a little but no one still wants to wear it. I love the flip down visor so you don't have to worry about being caught without glasses or at night with a tinted shield.

2nd helmet is a vcan 136. This is a much smaller helmet, has the same Blinc Bluetooth. I chose blinc when I got the hawk because it was the only Bluetooth that went between brands, you can connect this vcan to the hawk for example or any other blinc but if the helmet had a non blinc system you had to buy two of the identical helmets. Anyway this helmet is much more comfortable and lighter. It is not modular and has no flip down internal visor but you can get them for only around 100 on ebay or amazon and that makes them hands down the best bang for the buck of any helmet. The helmet itself seems sturdy and is of course DOT approved.

3rd Helmet is the Torc T12b. This also has the blinc Bluetooth. It is not modular but DOES have the internal flip down sun visor. I bought this helmet because whoever designed the color scheme must have seen the pearl white FZ6R, there is a couple different colors and one is white with black and red pin stripes around the black. The other matches the blue FZR6 perfect too. This is also a comfy helmet and looks the best of the three but get a size bigger than you normally would. Seems a little higher build quality but not enough considering it was more than double the price of the Vcan at 240. Also the shell on this helmet is bigger than the vcan and seems to be pushed around in the wind a bit more. Fine if your looking straight but when checking your blind spot or something it seems to get pushed.

hope that helps!

ylwf3vr

Should have asked before hand lol. this is one im an expert at lol. i have looked at every one that has it built in and I currently have three Bluetooth helmets including the hawk 6607. The Bluetooth works great in all the helmets except the bike to bike which you have to be going pretty slow to hear depending on the bikes involved, say maybe 20-30 but it works crystal clear slow so you can at least tell your buddy hey turn left here. Music up to 80mph on the fz6r easy and calls to probably 60 or more.

Hawk was my first which at first I liked because the blue tooth worked great for music and GPS which I really wanted. Don't want to be looking for road signs while im trying to decide what idiot drivers around me are going to do :) Anyway here are the major drawbacks of that helmet to the point I don't wear it anymore. First its big and kinda clunky and heavy. I love being able to flip up to go into 7-11 for a minute instead of taking it off but it wasn't worth the drawbacks. 2nd they put the speakers in this helmet IN the straps which makes it really uncomfortable. I took the speakers out and kind of Velcro them inside the helmet and that helps a little but no one still wants to wear it. I love the flip down visor so you don't have to worry about being caught without glasses or at night with a tinted shield.

2nd helmet is a vcan 136. This is a much smaller helmet, has the same Blinc Bluetooth. I chose blinc when I got the hawk because it was the only Bluetooth that went between brands, you can connect this vcan to the hawk for example or any other blinc but if the helmet had a non blinc system you had to buy two of the identical helmets. Anyway this helmet is much more comfortable and lighter. It is not modular and has no flip down internal visor but you can get them for only around 100 on ebay or amazon and that makes them hands down the best bang for the buck of any helmet. The helmet itself seems sturdy and is of course DOT approved.

3rd Helmet is the Torc T12b. This also has the blinc Bluetooth. It is not modular but DOES have the internal flip down sun visor. I bought this helmet because whoever designed the color scheme must have seen the pearl white FZ6R, there is a couple different colors and one is white with black and red pin stripes around the black. The other matches the blue FZR6 perfect too. This is also a comfy helmet and looks the best of the three but get a size bigger than you normally would. Seems a little higher build quality but not enough considering it was more than double the price of the Vcan at 240. Also the shell on this helmet is bigger than the vcan and seems to be pushed around in the wind a bit more. Fine if your looking straight but when checking your blind spot or something it seems to get pushed.

hope that helps!
Awesome write-up thanks!

After Danieljardim mentioned the TORC, I looked it up and it looks pretty good. About the same price as the Hawk.

Hawk is being delivered right now and I can return it right away. I've read some reviews saying that the battery is very sensitive and if you leave it plugged in you can fry the battery. Have you had this issue?

With the drawbacks you've mentioned, I'm inclined to just return it before even opening the package and get the TORC.

Vcan sounds good but I really like the internal visor. Again thanks for the input!

latony007

Awesome write-up thanks!

After Danieljardim mentioned the TORC, I looked it up and it looks pretty good. About the same price as the Hawk.

Hawk is being delivered right now and I can return it right away. I've read some reviews saying that the battery is very sensitive and if you leave it plugged in you can fry the battery. Have you had this issue?

With the drawbacks you've mentioned, I'm inclined to just return it before even opening the package and get the TORC.

Vcan sounds good but I really like the internal visor. Again thanks for the input!
Leatherup is pretty cool about returns from what I hear so you can at least open it and check it out. No I have not had the issue with the battery on any of the helmets (it appears to be the exact same blinc system in each helmet) which is kinda the point so a Torc can connect to the Oneil fastrack ii which can connect to the Vcan. The Oneil was a cool looking one I didn't try because it had no internal visor and again this torc color was too matcing. here is a pict. of the torc. The pict on my sig. is the vcan.

Attachments

ylwf3vr

Saw the Oneil too.. it's little more money. So the speakers were uncomfortable? How was the quality though? Like mentioned before.. I'm in Hawaii so I rarely go over 65 MPH lol

latony007

Saw the Oneil too.. it's little more money. So the speakers were uncomfortable? How was the quality though? Like mentioned before.. I'm in Hawaii so I rarely go over 65 MPH lol
Oh I forgot your in Hawaii, you should be able to hear everything all the time perfect there lol. I don't think I ever hit 65 in about 6 weeks there in the last 5 years. well except that time I hit about 120 on the H2 in my brothers M3 but I digress. The speakers all sound fine to me, concern for me was hearing the music/gps and clearly at speeds and they do that great. I was not expecting Home audio quality which some audiofiles do. As for the comfort the hawk was by far the most uncomfortable of the three. I don't think they have changed anything as far as the speakers in the straps but it was a bad idea and seemed more uncomfortable as time went on, but that may have been because I was just so exited to have the bike and helmet at first I didn't care lol. Try it on, you should see what I mean about the speakers.

Bert-Aus

Have a self-made bluetooth/ headphones insert tha cost me a whopping $10 for speakers (+110db) and $30 for BT dongle.

Together they play crazy head-banging music that drowns out traffic noise
...but not my Marthy Viper:D

ylwf3vr

Oh I forgot your in Hawaii, you should be able to hear everything all the time perfect there lol. I don't think I ever hit 65 in about 6 weeks there in the last 5 years. well except that time I hit about 120 on the H2 in my brothers M3 but I digress. The speakers all sound fine to me, concern for me was hearing the music/gps and clearly at speeds and they do that great. I was not expecting Home audio quality which some audiofiles do. As for the comfort the hawk was by far the most uncomfortable of the three. I don't think they have changed anything as far as the speakers in the straps but it was a bad idea and seemed more uncomfortable as time went on, but that may have been because I was just so exited to have the bike and helmet at first I didn't care lol. Try it on, you should see what I mean about the speakers.
You're right. It is very bulky. Also the modular part doesn't even go up all the way. Stops at my eye level. Thought it was suppose to go all the way up so it's like a quarter helmet.

The front vent seems weird too. I haven't used the Bluetooth yet since I got it tonight and it's charging, but I'll let you know after I ride. Unfortunate shipping it back for return (due to its size) will be very costly..

latony007

You're right. It is very bulky. Also the modular part doesn't even go up all the way. Stops at my eye level. Thought it was suppose to go all the way up so it's like a quarter helmet.

The front vent seems weird too. I haven't used the Bluetooth yet since I got it tonight and it's charging, but I'll let you know after I ride. Unfortunate shipping it back for return (due to its size) will be very costly..
it should fold up higher than eye level. you have to really push that button in and give it a good push sometimes. But it may just sit differently on me too. I def. think you would be happier with one of the other two I mentioned. How about the speakers in the straps? not bothering you? You have to wear it a bit I guess.

ylwf3vr

Wore it to work today.. the quality of the speakers were not bad at all and it wasn't uncomforable on me. It was little big on my head though. The visiblity is not as good as my Scorpion helmet.. seems little restricted.

It did require little force to push the front up to open face.

Overall I'm with you. I will wear it since I have it but wouldn't buy it again or recommend. I think I would've been happier with the other ones, but like I said.. cost to ship is half of what I paid for the helmet.

But thanks, I know what to get next time!

latony007

Wore it to work today.. the quality of the speakers were not bad at all and it wasn't uncomforable on me. It was little big on my head though. The visiblity is not as good as my Scorpion helmet.. seems little restricted.

It did require little force to push the front up to open face.

Overall I'm with you. I will wear it since I have it but wouldn't buy it again or recommend. I think I would've been happier with the other ones, but like I said.. cost to ship is half of what I paid for the helmet.

But thanks, I know what to get next time!
I keep forgetting Hawaii. be like 15 bucks max to ship it back here. Id put it on Ebay as last resort see if I could get 150 for it. However keep going until the speakers start to bother you and then sell it :)

ylwf3vr

I keep forgetting Hawaii. be like 15 bucks max to ship it back here. Id put it on Ebay as last resort see if I could get 150 for it. However keep going until the speakers start to bother you and then sell it :)
I'm trying to get a hold of them right now. I got it at 7PM last night.. HAD to take all the tags off to charge and the sticker off to ride it. They say if you've worn it once it's not "new" so it's not eligible for full refund, but I'm arguing that I couldn't possibly have known the limited visibility and bulkiness without riding with it. We'll see.

You said you have/had Torc T12B? I also see T10B. Any differences you see in those? Seems pretty similar other than T12B is ECE(??) certified as well..

ylwf3vr

Because I took the visor sticker off I cannot return it.. not even for in-store credit. I understand maybe few days after purchase but I literally received the item LAST night and I called this morning... rep said "you could have tried it on for fitment".. and I asked "I cannot judge how the visibility will be with the big sticker in the front and without being on the road.. are you advocating that all customers ride it with the sticker on to see if they like the fitment and visibility through the visors?" "...........*silence*......."

But oh well.. like I said it's not end of the world.. I'll live with it and maybe when I get off this island, I'll buy better BT helmet.. and definitly ask around lol

latony007

Because I took the visor sticker off I cannot return it.. not even for in-store credit. I understand maybe few days after purchase but I literally received the item LAST night and I called this morning... rep said "you could have tried it on for fitment".. and I asked "I cannot judge how the visibility will be with the big sticker in the front and without being on the road.. are you advocating that all customers ride it with the sticker on to see if they like the fitment and visibility through the visors?" "...........*silence*......."

But oh well.. like I said it's not end of the world.. I'll live with it and maybe when I get off this island, I'll buy better BT helmet.. and definitly ask around lol
that's a total bummer. Amazon would have taken it back. But at least the Bluetooth works good and as you said wear it until you find one you love and then sell it. Its amazing what they can get on ebay. Aloha!

ylwf3vr

that's a total bummer. Amazon would have taken it back. But at least the Bluetooth works good and as you said wear it until you find one you love and then sell it. Its amazing what they can get on ebay. Aloha!
Well got the helmet today. Large is a tad hit big. When I shake my head it wiggles. Not so much that it turns all the way around bit little loose. Not sure if medium would've been TOO small.

I'll have to see it on the road. But it matches my hi viz vest and is a lot more comfortable than the hawk!

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member