Blue Ridge Parkway Tips

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

milepig

If time becomes an issue, ride the bottom half. You'll have to plan gas stops as none is sold on the parkway, stop at one of the infor rest stop and ask. And be sure to look for and take roads that lead to/from the parkway, that's were you'll find some really nice twisty stuff.

RandiZ

$500 vacation

About 10 years ago my wife and I had $500 to spend on a one week vacation. My only desire was to wake up at least one morning and see the Smokey Mountains. We drove from Florida to two different camp grounds in North Carolina and one in Georgia with our two dogs and a tent. The most memorable was Mama Gertie's Hideaway near Asheville, NC -- mountains AND the town of Asheville AND NC BBQ all in one.

AAA has some good guides for camping and there are a lot of campgrounds in the area that specifically cater to motorcyclists. All have a variety of amenities and services at various prices. You'll need a reservation in most places, including state parks.

Have fun! Our country is so beautiful.

milepig

Some of the things I really like about the PRPW are that there are no stop signs on it, none! No trucks, no bill boards, just incredible views no matter which way you look. Scenic rest stops seems like ever mile or so. Speed limit is mostly 45mph, I think you can get away with 5 over, but really you won't want to go real fast anyway, just to much to take in. You're going to love it!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

Marthy let us know when you finalize plans and how far of the Parkway you will do, then we can offer some close roads you can skip down into and then just jump back on the parkway when you want.

unless it's changed? most of BRP itself has rangers for cops and tickets are easy, but good thing is it's a park so no points on license, although IIRC fines are high $.

milepig

Thanks a lot. I wasn't planning going there to beat a speed record. My wife will be riding with me probably taking picture and stopping every miles to take more pictures...LOL We're not in a hurry, we want to enjoy the scenery. I was even planning camping at the same place for 1-2 days and do some hiking.
It is tempting to goose it a little on parkway, nice corners for sure! We make an annual trip to NC for riding and the parkway is always in the plan. Rode it end-to-end this year, along with the Skyline Parkway, some 550 miles worth of enjoyment. Enjoy the trip!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Skidro

We always hit the parkway at Cherokee, and if you've never ridden it before you will find yourself wanting to stop more than you should for pictures & the awesome scenery.

We just look for a trail or gravel road off the parkway to find a camping spot or ask locals where they camp on the weekends, but you will probably want some facilities with your wife, and not just a creek for washing.

Check out the link & click on the interactive map, it will show campgrounds, visitor centers, attractions, etc. along the parkway.

Maps & Travel Tools - Blue Ridge Parkway

Last edited:

redwing-2001

Hey everyone,
I have 1 week vacation left and I'm trying to put a little cycle trip together with my wife this time. I was thinking taking the train from Orlando, FL to Virginia and riding the BRP and maybe stopping there for either camping or staying in a cabin. I never been there before but trying to figure out a way to do it on a budget a bit. We have a whole week but don't really have to be on the road for 7 days...

Reaching out to my 6R family for some good suggestion and tips

Thanks ahead!

Mr. & Miss Marthy
we have stayed here a number of times over the years. Wonderful place. Camp or stay in a no-frills cabin. I think they still have a restaurant on site.
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

THill

I would like to camp in the Parkway for 2-3 days. What would be my best options? I never been there before. Planning on some hiking, taking a lot of pictures and chilling! Something my wife always wanted to do. I'm not planning of burning more than 1 tank or so of gas a day (150 miles) So I was thinking of splitting the ride in 3.

Somewhere with some facilities and a shower would be nice. I'll do my search also, but will appreciate some input from everyone too.

Thanks
When are you thinking of making this trip ?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

2QUIK4U

EsrTek

The best parts of the BRP (I've rode) near Asheville are north of that.. You will have to take the Lil Switzerland loop, it's a motorcycle hot spot. (Where you see 226 and 226a make a triangle shape on map).

Right where that detour goes RT 80 is "The Devils Whip" and is very technical, and scared me going downhill w hairpins on sharp declines!!
However, it is another must hit!

The closed are holds Mt Mitchell entrance, which is highest point in NC, and a fun road to go up!

Speeds on the BRP can get to spirited quickly w/ all the sweepers, but a sharp turn can be behind any 1 of them, so don't go crazy.
We spent a week up there last year, seen 0 cops entire time on BRP and never went below 10 over.

If your in that area, BRP south of Asheville to Cherokee is nice, and leaves you about 30 mins from the dragon, which is a must hitter.