Bleeding the brakes

MikeN02

I'm sure many of you will get around to doing this sooner or later. The brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years, or when it gets maple syrup color. "Clean" or new brake fluid is usually your veggie oil color.

There are a couple of options to bleeding the brakes.

The first one is using the stock bleeders on your bike (Kind of a 2 person job). Second option is "speed bleeders" that you change out to (not sure if they're available to the FZ6-R), and the third option is the mityvac (around $30 - $40).

I'm considering getting speed bleeders and will let you guys know how it goes.

Will be my first brake fluid change.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Hellgate

I use a combo of speed bleeders and a Mity Vac. It works really well, and very easy too. With your bleeders be sure to wrap the threads with teflon tape to prevent air from sucking back in around/through the threads.

wtnotch

I use a combo of speed bleeders and a Mity Vac. It works really well, and very easy too. With your bleeders be sure to wrap the threads with teflon tape to prevent air from sucking back in around/through the threads.
+1 on the Mity Vac. I've used that on motorcycles, cars and even downhill mountain bikes. Works like a charm.

MikeN02

The standard bleeder seems like you need to position yourself right to get both caliphers is why I'm considering speed bleeders.

spider2k

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

You don't need any tricky bleeder to bleed them once a year... Flow the system open to replace the fluid, each nipple. (make sure you don't ran out in the canister) Then do a pressure bleed 3-4 time each side until there's no more air bubble. Taking your time might take you 1/2 hour max...
Not just doing my bike, I'm doing 4 other bikes. So if it can save me time then I shall need this tricky bleeder!

If I recall, you need to do 1/4 a turn, pump the brake, close the bleeder, release the brake.

One hand on the wrench to open the bleeder, another to pump the brakes and your eyes on the tube to look if all of the air bubbles are gone.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

Yes you're right. Make sure you pump slow... the fluid need to travel slow to avoid turbulence... At the end of the day it's a personal preference... like many other thing. Speed bleeder kind of got popular on some racecar. I use them on Formula Mazda. One mechanic per car... just make it easier to bleed the brakes once a day, or more if needed. I just don't really see the need on a street bike... once a year at the most.
Going to be doing the track a couple times a year. So I would like to change it out before I go, cheap insurance.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

In this case yes... I might even suggest you to upgrade your fluid to a higher boiling point. Ask some track guys what they're using... Spongy brake sucks!
Yep, I'm going to change it out often since my bike is an 07 with 10k miles on it. I don't think it's been changed, hopped on my friend's 09 with only 1k miles on it and what a different it makes.

Spongy brakes do suck, I have a fear of locking them up more than usual since I locked up my rear in the first year of riding and went down.

ChUcK

Last night I replaced my buddy's brake fluid front and back (2001 sv650) in less than 1/2 hour using a 10-inch line of 1/4" ID tubing and a beer bottle. It is not a complicated procedure.

Not too sure I understand all this talk about special, dedicated line bleeders. If any of you out there sorta don't understand how to bleed brakes but don't want to publically admit it, or buy special tools, shoot me a PM.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

Going to be doing the track a couple times a year. So I would like to change it out before I go, cheap insurance.
My track bike gets changed about every 2 months. With fresh fluid to difference in feel is night and day.

I use both tools because its easier. I like easy.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk