Black Gunk/Clean Chain

behindXgrnXeyes

So my thread got closed to high testosterone levels...sorry about that :p

I will not be cleaning my chain with a rag, infact, i cant even do that because i do not have a rear stand...haha ($$)

I can maybe look into getting one for XMAS, it should hold by then. So what kind of sched do you guys suggest for cleaning...once a month...or something...

Now call me crazy, but im new to Manual engines...but uhm....if i put it in 1st gear....and let go of the clutch...er, wont it stall? Or due to there being no pressure on the back wheel, it will actually spin..

Sorry for the silly question but it was intention that no clutch without throttle = shut off...lol

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

yfz6r

If you can get the rear tire off the ground, it will spin in first without giving it any gas. Get in a diesel truck and let out the clutch slowly- you don't have to give it gas and the truck will go.
As a nurse, I'm going to say DO NOT do anything with your chain while the bike is on. The tire spins fast and will chop your finger off if it gets between the chain and sprocket. A few people lose fingers every year because of this.
I do chain lubing that way tho. You have to take risks to get shit done.

Easy way to clean your chain is to just spray wd40 all over it and let it sit for a few mins. Then just spray it off with a hose. WD40 is awesome. After that, just pour some lube on it. With no stand, just put the bike on the kickstand, clean/lube a portion, then wheel it forward a few inches. Repeat.

If you lift the bike and let the clutch out to turn the tire, you won't be wanting to use a rag. Think about it.

I just keep my chain soaked in wd-40. Many people don't recommend this but it stays clean and gives me no problems. You don't actually lube a sealed o-ring chain.

Bloke

Either...

Use a rag and thoroughly clean and lube your chain

Or....

Use a damn long straw and just spray some stuff on it.

Me I rag it, even with a centre stand.

Using the straw method you get so much fling with a chain oil.

As for not lubricating o ring chains... True, but you lubricate the other metal to metal surfaces. Improper chain care can lead to prematurely worn sprockets and snapped chains. I know what I like to do.

There is some anecdotal evidence i've to show wd40 harms o-rings too, and wd40 isn't a lube, it's a water repellant.

It's fantastic for cleaning a chain mind, really gets the grime off then you have to wash with a water based degreaser (normal car/bike soap) to remove the crap wd40 then apply your lube of choice.

Heres a good link to giving your bike a top quality clean, think it covers chain maintenance in part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREqf4wIukA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

behindXgrnXeyes

thats how i lube it up...spray, get up, walk forward, get off, spray and repeat...takes a bit....

so, if i got this right...lets say i want to wash/clean the bike...I'd do something like this, someone feel free to correct me

1. ride the bike to warm it up
2. spray the chain with cleaner/WD40 (what about the rear tire, its getting black and gunky, good for that too right?)
3. spray the crap out of the bike
4.wash
5.spray chain lube
6.happy dance

sound about right?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
thats how i lube it up...spray, get up, walk forward, get off, spray and repeat...takes a bit....

so, if i got this right...lets say i want to wash/clean the bike...I'd do something like this, someone feel free to correct me

1. ride the bike to warm it up
2. spray the chain with cleaner/WD40 (what about the rear tire, its getting black and gunky, good for that too right?)
3. spray the crap out of the bike
4.wash
5.spray chain lube
6.happy dance

sound about right?
I wouldn't use any specialized cleaner for the tires. You don't want to make them slippery inadvertently. Just use soapy water if you are going to clean tires.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

linkgt

First, I would suggest to buy a set of these:

09on TRex Yamaha FZ6R Spool Adapters No Modifica

Not too hard to install and will make lifting the bike a little easier. I always had problems lifting it with my pitbull stand using the rubber stand things, but that's just me. It turned a whole lot easier once I installed those, in addition to putting a small piece of block or wood under the kickstand. Doing that will make the bike a little more upright and easier to lift.

As for cleaning without a rear stand it's going to be a pain in the ass. What I would do is start from one end of my backyard and stop once i thought I went through the whole chain. Then repeat for lubing.

Also when lubing, do not forget to put some type of cardboard between the chain and the rear tire. You DO NOT want to get lube on the tire. Hope this helps.

Edit:
Next time you stop by the Marthy Speedshop I'll show you how I do it. :rolleyes:
Swag

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

You can get a cheap Harbor freight swing arm stand for around $40. I still have it and use it when I don't have my pitbull stands.

I don't even warm up the bike. Try not to get any chemicals on your tire as it can cause it to slip.

Put the bike on a stand, in neutral. Wear gloves if you want, rotate the rear wheel while spraying the INSIDE of the chain where the O rings are. The sides of the chain aren't that important but the inside where the sprocket goes in are. Wipe inside of the chain with a rag or brush where the O rings are. Spray lube the same way and wipe off the excess lube.

I like to clean the sides of the chain to see how shiny it is.

behindXgrnXeyes

She is all shiny and im a tad bit wiser thanks to Marty once again :)

Ive tried reg soap/water on the tires before with no luck, the grim is caked on there. I know not to spray the tire itself, im careful...so think the Wd40 on a rag on the rim will be fine to get it all off

Thanks everyone!!!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

va_bank

I just have to say this - do not clean your chain with the bike running. Ever. Thousands of people have done it thousands of times but it wont help you if you're one of the few lucky winners who lost their fingers. I would rather push the bike forward a foot at the time to do it then to have it running.

bleedinblue

Elite Member