Bikes in Europe

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

TokenSSDD

Sounds awesome to watch.

dekaliber

The Europeans generally are very civilized about how they conduct their business in traffic. Yielding to the right to passing cars, signaling before turning, paying attention to the road and having good situational awareness, etc. It's one thing I really wish we'd emulate. I'm all for tiered licenses if it helps us do that. No reason some 19 year old should be owning an M3 anyway. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean you should.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

2wheelie

This is my favorite subject... Let me tell you this right from the bet - US drivers are the worst in the world. And that's a fact. Not because it is their fault, it's just a driving ed here is sux comparing to European. Here everyone drives as they think (or can), and that's where's the road rage coming from.

As to European highways - noone will just cruise in the left lane unless passing. Moreover, if they see you closing in from behind - they'll move over right away to let you pass. There is not much of a solid line (like double yellow) on a secondary roads (only where is no visibility for passing) so you won't gona be stock behind a slow driver. All this and more makes riding much more enjoyable. Noone is afraid to drive fast, yet doing that skillfully as everything else.

In Paris there are no dividing lines around the Triumph Arch, and yet everyone knows their lane. I think here they'd be lost on that pretty wide circle...
I find driving/riding in Europe is way easier than here.

I rented a bike (F650GS) in Spain for few days, and when I came back in USA, for weeks I was driving the way you described in this post until noticed that I'm the only one who's riding like that...

Last edited:

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

motoguy82

I think in most European countries everyone has to pay big money to take actual driver school/training before getting a license. They say in Germany it's over $3000 to get a license. Pretty sure having to pay that much would make you a little more serious about learning the rules and abiding by them.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

2wheelie

When I did my license at 17, I had to take mandatory 20 to 25 lessons with instructor, going through all sorts of roads and every difficult situations you can run into. When I thought I was ready, it took me 3 attempts to pass the driving test in these conditions. And yes, it cost lots of money to my parents...

Here when my daughter went to the test, it was done in the empty lot behind the DMV building (their test area). It was a real joke... I was shocked thinking how she gona drive on the real road... Good thing I could teach her few things.

There you have it - clueless drivers.

Last edited:

ScottM

Hey Nasty why pick on people when they turn 62. I think that people who choose to live in Alaska (shiver) should be tested.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BoneJj

My big pet peeve is that once you get your license at, say, 16, you never have to be tested again. WTF? So if you get your license in Bumfrack, Iowa at age 16, then move to a major city 20 years later, are you really prepared to handle that? Maybe; but then again, if you've only been driving farm equipment and a beat up pick up truck back and forth to the mill and feed store, perhaps another test or driving class would be in order before you deal with that.

I think at the least you should have to retake another written test every time, or maybe every other time, you renew your license. Once you hit 62 then it should be a written and driving test every time you renew it. Why 62? Because that's when you can collect social security benefits. Sorry those over 62, but don't pretend older folks don't have issues driving, and if you can collect social security, then you are "older."

/rant
I like this idea.....

I know that here in florida it's every 8 years that you have to renew, I think every 16 years for a retest or something would be outstanding. I personally think that people should be required to do some kind of advanced training periodically. If you want to drive, you need to have better skills to be behind the wheel.

I also agree that older drivers need more scrutiny, I live in florida and I know for a fact that they do.........................

Sage

In Illinois when I got my license at 16, I had to have minimum 25 hours behind the wheel on the permit then have mandatory drivers ed through the school. Now I think its either 75 or 125 hours behind the wheel with the permit. But what I learned in that time I feel was just a taste of what is out there, I learned so much more at a BMW Performance Driving School in a day that I did during drivers ed and became an even better driver from that. Normal drivers education needs to be more hardcore on accident avoidance, how to control the car properly and such. I feel you should have to do the driving test every time you renew the license to get try and get incompetent drivers off the road.