Bike won't start

nitraM

Hi All

My name is Martin. I am brand new to riding and I just bought a 2009 FZ6R yesterday. Only experience I have on a bike is that I took the MSF course twice (passed both times, but when i moved from indiana to illinois my wallet was stolen before changing license), so I don't know a thing about bikes.

First of all, this thing has a lot more power than i thought and is a bit intimidating. Anyway, I picked this one up and this morning I took it to get gas, after filling up i rode back home (less than 4 miles round trip). I stalled it (or dumped the clutch not sure of the correct terminology) while in traffic. I was sitting at a light in first gear with clutch squeezed but when i released it, bike shut off (I did this twice IN TRAFFIC #embarassed - the 250's never did that to me). It started right back up both times but when i pulled in my apartment parking lot as I was coming to a stop (less than 10 mph) it cut off again. I thought i was in first gear and im still not sure, but i notice the temp was 220 F and i heard the fan kick on. Since i was back home i just put it in neutral (which is when i realized i must not have been in first or i shifted up too hard and skipped over neutral because i had to go back down to hit neutral) and walked it the last 3 feet. I attempted to start it back right away and nothing happened. I assumed maybe its too hot and its a safety feature. So I left it alone for an hour or two went back out and it still does not start. Its been several hours now, temp display says "lo" and still isnt starting. The lights come on, it attempts to turn (kinda clicking) but nothing happens.

Did I fry something? is it fuel related? is it electrical? is there anything i can do to troubleshoot it? I dont think it was the previous owner as it started up cold. I think it was something i ignorantly done myself, like going too slow in a higher gear that maybe made the RPMs too high? I honestly don't know. I've got a small 22 second video on my phone but i don't know how to upload it here. So I'm trying to upload it on youtube and I'll post the link once it finishes.

Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!

tdnathens

Hi; Welcome to this forum. If the bike just clicks it sounds like low battery voltage. You will need to charge or replace the battery. If you purchase a new battery make sure you charge it to full before using it. You can remove the battery and take it to any auto parts store for a free load check. I don't believe there is anything you could have done to cause this.
Tom

nitraM

Hi; Welcome to this forum. If the bike just clicks it sounds like low battery voltage. You will need to charge or replace the battery. If you purchase a new battery make sure you charge it to full before using it. You can remove the battery and take it to any auto parts store for a free load check. I don't believe there is anything you could have done to cause this.
Tom
Hi Tom,

That is definitely reassuring. I've called the previous owner and he mentioned in the 3 years that he's owned it, he's never replaced the battery and kept it on a tender. Which gives me hope that its just a battery issue. I appreciate the fast response Sir!

nitraM

Hi Tom,

That is definitely reassuring. I've called the previous owner and he mentioned in the 3 years that he's owned it, he's never replaced the battery and kept it on a tender. Which gives me hope that its just a battery issue. I appreciate the fast response Sir!

It was/is definitely the battery! I haven’t replaced it or anything but I read up on how to do I running “bump start” and it fired right up. I rode it for about 45 mins, turned it off and it fired right back up. I’ll purchase a trickle charger for now and buy a battery for next season. Thanks again Tom! And maybe this will help someone else in the future. So excited to ride!

texas09fz6r

I had the same thing happen to my 09. Got it home from buying and next day dead. Weird thing was it had a new battery. Put it on battery tender and good to go. Welcome to the forum.

MadMaxx

Try something simple... When you tried to restart, did you remember to raise the kick stand?

Raise kick stand, hold clutch, and start. You may not be in neutral like you think. When I was new I used to be soft on the selector and get halfway between N and 2nd, so I'd move but could hear that something was wrong and I couldn't get full power, plus the N light. I wouldn't be surprised if turning the bike off like this would activate the kickstand safety feature...

If that doesn't work, let us know if u hear a click when you try. If you do, or your headlight is dim, it's a battery issue.

Just_Jim

Before you spring for a new battery have the old one checked out, it may still be good. Definitely get yourself a smart charger, like a Battery Tender. A properly maintained battery can last a long time, the last one in my R6 lasted 9 years.

Not knowing how much of a charge the original owner put on the battery to start it the first time when you picked it up, it was probably not fully charged and the additional starts you had to do drained it to a point it wouldn't turn the starter.

Also, be aware that a motorcycle's charging system will not charge the battery at idle, you need to get the RPM up to about 3000 before it starts to charge. So riding the bike around for 45 minutes after you got it started was the right thing to do.

Brettz6

I had the same issue about a week after I bought my 08. The solution was getting a new battery. The battery that the guy had in the bike was half the size of the one I should of had. Since changing the battery a year and a half ago I have not had the issue happen again.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member