Bike Dies

Recently my bike had died on me while I was coming to a stop! It has happened to me two times! The first time I was braking pretty hard, the second time I was just slowing down for a turn! Anybody have any ideas on what it could be!?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
What gear were you in both times? How slow? Was the clutch pulled in or not? Were you 100% off the gas or partial throttle?

Do you have any problems with acceleration?

We'll try to help from there. ;)

CGENGO

Why dies?

I had this happen once. I figured out that during the turn my foot was shifting on the peg. The heel of my boot was catching the kick stand and lowering it just enough to hit the point of "safety kill". The bike died, coasted, foot moved, restarted, kept going. Check it out and watch that left boot/heel/pants leg.

Craxican

Also, have you had anything installed lately? Do you have a power commander? If so, reload your maps. Do you have and auto tune? Is it on? How cold is it there?

cbzdel

I noticed you have this in your sig:

TBR Full Exhaust System (And a PCV waiting for a map!)

does this mean no PVC currently?

If so this probably means you are running SUPER lean!

Then if you hit the clutch just right plus running so lean maybe you are just putting to much load into the engine, thus killing it?

Just trying to come up with a valid reason, it makes since to me that it could happen?

I noticed you have this in your sig:

TBR Full Exhaust System (And a PCV waiting for a map!)

does this mean no PVC currently?

If so this probably means you are running SUPER lean!

Then if you hit the clutch just right plus running so lean maybe you are just putting to much load into the engine, thus killing it?

Just trying to come up with a valid reason, it makes since to me that it could happen?
No, the PCV isn't installed! You think getting a different Air Filter and getting a custom map for the PCV would help!? It may be the TBR, cause I just had my 4000 mile check up and they said all was well!

It also doesn't get cold here! I always allow my bike to warm up before, I ride off anyways! Both times it had died on me, I don't remember screwing up on shifting or anything! I also wasn't thinking about it until after it happened!

Craxican

Where are you that it doesn't get cold? Im in Florida and its COLD lol...any case, have you had the bike dyno tuned since the TBR install? Or is that why you are waiting for a map? Whats your idle? I had a similar problem, but that was immediately after I had the AutoTune installed and the damn thing was adjusting everything...

I'm in Hawaii, Oahu! It only gets around 60 degrees in the morning during winter! Throughout the day, it is warm! Anyways, I don't have it Dyno or anything! I was waiting on a map, cause it cost way too much to here to get the auto tuner installed, plus the welding and all that crap! They wanted over $600.00 for install! And another $400.00 for a dyno! So, I'm just waiting to get stationed back on the mainland until I get all that crap done! Do you think it will die more often as time goes on or will it just surprise me every once in a while!?

Craxican

Honestly, i dont think it will be a continuing problem...just be careful and pay attention on your slowing to see if u can pinpoint.

I was thinking, I also use Premium Unleaded in my bike! You think that may have something to do with it!?

Craxican

its possible, our bikes are not intended to handle the "better" gas, however, it can run it perfectly fine. It usually becomes a problem when you switch back and forth and so on...like i said though, I had the same problem and after I installed my autotune and it basically just needed to work itself out...