Best place for a 12 volt power point?

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ6R-HWD

I have one installed and a second on the way

I installed one, a surface mount, to the rear painted section under the passenger hand hold. It sort of angles down. Worked well on my BMW RT so I did it here. I direct wired to the battery with a fuse. Note that if you tap a thin wire like a tail light wire your going to blow a fuse trying to inflate a tire or running heated clothes. The rear mount allows tire pump, heated clothes, a charger in your tail bag or install of a battery charger if needed.

I am going to install a second on the handle bars. I need it for GPS, Phone on a holder, Etc. I am still going to direct connect to the battery but in this case I would not be using it for high demand connections.

Ed

FitZ6R

I'm using this adapter from Harbor Fright Tools, plugged into my Battery Tender pigtail under the passenger seat. I plugged in my GPS power cord and ran the wire under the edge of the seat up to the front.

Attachments

pyrocpu

I'm using this adapter from Harbor Fright Tools, plugged into my Battery Tender pigtail under the passenger seat. I plugged in my GPS power cord and ran the wire under the edge of the seat up to the front.
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing! However, that item number doesn't appear to be in the Harbor Freight website. Had you purchased that adapter recently?

Man, Harbor Freight. Every time I go in there for "just one thing," I come out with a coupla shopping bags worth... :)

FitZ6R

However, that item number doesn't appear to be in the Harbor Freight website. Had you purchased that adapter recently?
Just a few days ago. Here it is: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=67135 (Hot tip for the Hardcore HFer: harborfreightusa.com is the retail store site. You can sometimes find some good discounts buried there.)

It might be a discontinued item. My store had a few, but they appeared to be slow-moving from the dust level. If you can't find it, let me know and I could send you one.

pyrocpu

Thanks for the offer!

I'll cruise on by Harbor Freight this weekend and see if it's in stock. I hope that I can just run in & run out with just that... :D

Pizz

I'd recommend putting a fuse in line with that plug. That's if there isn't one built in.

pyrocpu

There is a fuse in-line on the harness-side of that connector--the run from the batt to the SAE connector. I can't quite remember the rating, but I remember that blade-type inline fuse for which I had to find a home when hard-wiring that same harness for my Battery Tender...

pyrocpu

Just a few days ago. Here it is: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=67135 (Hot tip for the Hardcore HFer: harborfreightusa.com is the retail store site. You can sometimes find some good discounts buried there.)

It might be a discontinued item. My store had a few, but they appeared to be slow-moving from the dust level. If you can't find it, let me know and I could send you one.
Thanks again! Found the connector @ HF, and for only $4 or so! Thanks again FitZ6R!
:thumbup: