Best performance mods?

Chucker

I gotta say, the more I research the effects of different performance mods on the FZ6R, the more I am convinced that windshield, bars, tires, and suspension mods (springs, shock, or lowering front end) are the only ones that give you a noticeable performance improvement. The windshield is obviously more comfort than something that will allow you to actually ride better, but I consider comfort a performance characteristic. I also think pegs (racing or rearset) and brakes can noticeably improve performance.

I get that exhaust is probably the most sought after "performance" mod, but I honestly think it only improves the sound (to some people).

Thoughts?

TokenSSDD

I think it depends on what aspect of performance you're shooting for. If I want my bike to perform faster then I'd look at making it lighter or more aerodynamic. If I want it to handle better then I'd get steel braided lines and tinker with the suspension. It just depends on what you're trying to get out of the bike.

And as for the exhaust, if you by pure numbers the jump isn't enormous (~69 HP to ~73 HP) but percentage wise that about a 5% jump. Still not much, but with the weight you save it's nice. Those are the numbers according to TBR anyway. Other systems might be different.

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

if it's your first bike and you have nothing else to compare it to, then you might not realize the brakes are ok at best. new (better) pads & steel lines

also, try a track day. my first, I was doing 1:50 laps, and by end of day I was down to 1:25's. still way off pace of good riders but I learned so much just (trying to) following others lines through corners

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chucker

If you're looking for a place to start, definitely go with the brakes. Well worth it.
I'm surprised you'd say start with the brakes. I agree they're not what I would like, but I find the suspension is what slows me down in the twisties. I rode a 2011 R6 racebike on the track and the hardest thing to get used to was the brakes. It took several laps before I wasn't hitting the front brake too hard. Even so, I find I can trail brake into turns on the FZ6R no problem with the stock brakes and they have the power I need, but the front end dives. For me, doing the suspension was #1. SS brake lines are next on the list though.

wtnotch

I'm surprised you'd say start with the brakes. I agree they're not what I would like, but I find the suspension is what slows me down in the twisties. I rode a 2011 R6 racebike on the track and the hardest thing to get used to was the brakes. It took several laps before I wasn't hitting the front brake too hard. Even so, I find I can trail brake into turns on the FZ6R no problem with the stock brakes and they have the power I need, but the front end dives. For me, doing the suspension was #1. SS brake lines are next on the list though.
I agree with the suspension needing the most work and seeing the most benefit from upgrading.

For me:

#1 RaceTech Emulator and springs for the forks and a HyperPro shock on the rear.

#2 EBC pads and steel braided lines.

#3 TBR

Russ

SAFE-T

I remember a test in Cycle Canada years ago where most aftermarket exhaust systems actually produced LESS power than the factory exhaust.

Suspension first, then learn how to ride better.

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chucker

Maybe it's because I only weigh 150lbs,
Yes, this bike was made for you. My extra 50 lbs makes it a whole different ballgame. My front forks dive and my rear preload is set at 6, which makes it bottom on harsh bumps at speed. I've actually gotten home a couple of times to see my passenger pegs popped down after hitting a bump hard.

One thing I noticed riding a racebike that was set up for my weight was that I could really feel if the tires were beginning to lose traction in a turn. I've never felt that on a smaller bike with stock suspension. The one spill I've had in 30 years of riding was a lowside in a turn and the rear tire just let go with no warning as soon as I hit the bottom of the rear suspension travel. The rear was not set up for my weight and I could almost feel the shock push the rear tire as it compressed. It just happened too quickly to recover.

Hellgate

^^^ Setting the preload on your shock higher will actually put more force onto your forks, as the rear of the bike will not settle as much, so the force transfers to the frontend.

Food for thought.

KeysRider3

I think it depends on what aspect of performance you're shooting for. If I want my bike to perform faster then I'd look at making it lighter or more aerodynamic. If I want it to handle better then I'd get steel braided lines and tinker with the suspension. It just depends on what you're trying to get out of the bike.

And as for the exhaust, if you by pure numbers the jump isn't enormous (~60 HP to ~73 HP) but percentage wise that about a 5% jump. Still not much, but with the weight you save it's nice. Those are the numbers according to TBR anyway. Other systems might be different.
Depending on whose stock numbers are being quoted the hp increase amounts to about 5 hp, not 5 per cent. Super Street Bike mag (December) just did a feature on the 6R with the TB exhaust, and the article reported a 5 hp gain. However, the cost of the complete exhaust was over $1000. Add a JB or PCV and you're well over a grand. The TB exhaust saves you 10 lbs of weight. Maybe the weight reduction + hp gain makes enough of a difference to justify the expense? Yamaha puts the 6R at 65, while some of the mags report it between 64.1 (Motorcycle.com on a dyno, and Motorcyclist), 66.5 (CycleWorld). Other forums have rated it as high as 78. Until your bike is on a dyno for a baseline it's anyone's guess as to what's happening.

TokenSSDD

Depending on whose stock numbers are being quoted the hp increase amounts to about 5 hp, not 5 per cent. Super Street Bike mag (December) just did a feature on the 6R with the TB exhaust, and the article reported a 5 hp gain. However, the cost of the complete exhaust was over $1000. Add a JB or PCV and you're well over a grand. The TB exhaust saves you 10 lbs of weight. Maybe the weight reduction + hp gain makes enough of a difference to justify the expense? Yamaha puts the 6R at 65, while some of the mags report it between 64.1 (Motorcycle.com on a dyno, and Motorcyclist), 66.5 (CycleWorld). Other forums have rated it as high as 78. Until your bike is on a dyno for a baseline it's anyone's guess as to what's happening.
Sorry its supposed to read "69" not "60." I pulled those numbers from the Two Brothers website. But I do agree with the dyno comment. I think a before/after comparision on the same dyno would be the only way to get an accurate reading. And as far as the price goes, it depends where you get everything from. A guy I know locally (he's not on the forum... yet) ordered his system (Black Edition) from Cycle Gear for ~$800 and picked up a Power Commander for under $200 so he spent less than $1000. It was justifiable to him. Now to someone else? It depends on the person. I'd personally go the Marthy route...