Bert-Aus first outing on Rocket Ricer's

Bert-Aus

Sunday was my first day on my R6 (Rocket Ricer)
Track day out at Mallala, South Australia
Wow, such a difference in power delivery than my XJ6S!

After initial nerves in first session, having not actually ridden the bike more than a few laps around my back yard.

2nd session was getting familiar with the different riding position

3rd session I realised I was only using about 40 -50% of the throttle, HOLY F*&%#!
...the fun really does begin above 10k rpm, esp when redline is around 15,500rpm

4th session my best lap was 1:33.83

5th session my best lap was 1:31.23

Overall what a blast! maybe time to move into the next ride group:cool:
only had a few "Oh shit" moments, but thankfully no embarrasing or dangerous to others/ self events
My first time ever reaching the edge of my tyres too!
...whilst I know I have a lot of technique to practice on this bike
for starters I need to practice getting off the bike more (hang off alot further)

anyways some shots a friend took with my camera

tyres scrubbed in

morning tea break

JonKerr

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Nice! Track days are great. Your first one can be a bit intimidating, but they're great for learning. You get back to the street a different rider.
This track day was first on my R6, I have been four times with my XJ6S previously,
def agree with the back to street riding,
I have noticed how I am more calm on the street following a track day,
...I think a track day helps to clear your head of squidly desires on the road

The learning curve from a day on the track compares to a month of street/ hills/ canyon riding.
Especially notice this on first time out on the track, as it has been said before "the track will separate men from the boys"

latony007

Nice! Track days are great. Your first one can be a bit intimidating, but they're great for learning. You get back to the street a different rider.
Jon where do you go company you use? anyplace north towards L.A. like willow springs, I know you can bring your car out there. Also can I assume from these pictures that you need new tires when your done!

Nice shots Bert looks like it was fun. Glad home in one piece!

Bert-Aus

...can I assume from these pictures that you need new tires when your done!

Nice shots Bert looks like it was fun. Glad home in one piece!
Thanks latony007!
My tyres are still okay for another track day (hopefully two), most of that debris is rubber pickup from the faster guys slicks.
My current tyres on my XJ6S have done about 7000km's with 4 track days and still have more grip to go!

latony007

Thanks latony007!
My tyres are still okay for another track day (hopefully two), most of that debris is rubber pickup from the faster guys slicks.
My current tyres on my XJ6S have done about 7000km's with 4 track days and still have more grip to go!
sweet, I may have to try it. I bet they would make me buy pants too lol. Did the rubber pick-up hurt your handling or make it slippery? I hear that watching Nascar a lot that when they pick-up rubber like that it makes them loose.

Bert-Aus

sweet, I may have to try it. I bet they would make me buy pants too lol. Did the rubber pick-up hurt your handling or make it slippery? I hear that watching Nascar a lot that when they pick-up rubber like that it makes them loose.
I couldn't say either way re: extra slip due to rubber pick up, as with each session progressing over the day so did my confidence and lap time.
But in the last session I was crossing up more coming into turns
-as to whether that it is to do with more rubber on the track or me braking later and harder IDK? I would guess it is more the later

Gear wise most (if not all) tracks require you have full leathers (2 piece are generally allowed if they have full waist zip).
I picked up my race suit from a kid who wore it for downhill street-luge -only cost me $150, it was a little big around arms and legs.
A friend who is a furniture upholsterer, played tailor and took the suit in around my arms and legs by about 2" - 4".

latony007

wow that looks exiting!.. sweet deal man maybe this summer I will start doing track days as well... congrats there bud keep it up
Your only like an hour and 15 minutes from Willow Springs. I just found a company that has public days to take your car to the track but haven't found one for the bike yet but I know there is some. if you come up with anything let me know. Of course id have to drop a bunch of money on a suit but for the car (my brother just got a bad *** M3) it was only $155 for 5 thirty minute sessions which seems like a lot of time and not a lot of money. Cost me 500 to get 20 laps and California speedway, of course they provided the car on that.