Bell Revolver modular helmet

arkkornkid

It's been a while since I said I'd give a review of this helmet, but I just finally got around to giving it a chance.... and sorry to report that it is absolute garbage.

Caught it on sale: $92 shipped :spank: not the great deal I thought it was going to be.

The thing looks great and the features all seem like a home-run, but the execution just doesn't work.

Pros: great looks, strap retained by magnets is cool idea, modular action works well
Cons: weird fit, cheap feel, visor is worthless, very noisy, field of vision is poor

It is clearly made for a roundish head, worst fitting helmet I can remember trying in a long time. Area around the ears is very uncomfortable and I couldn't keep my chin from rubbing the front no matter how hard I tried to adjust it.

SO much wind noise. I fully expected there to be more noise because it's modular but holy jeez, even with earplugs it was truly unbearable. I rode for about a half hour and that was just too long.

The drop-down visor, which I thought would be an added bonus, constantly bounces around and is annoying... not to mention it isn't dark enough to act as a true sunshade. And although I knew because of it's design there was no chin air diffuser, I couldn't get over just how much turbulant air was getting in right in front of my face. I didn't wear my riding glasses because I was trying out the drop-down visor and it kept feeling like dust and crap was flying into my eyes, I might as well had not been wearing a helmet in that aspect.

The airflow from the vent system was hardly noticeable. It was only in the low 70's today so I didn't get hot but there were moments I felt I was too warm.

Side vision is almost non-existenet. You either need great mirrors and trust them or you have to nearly turn completely around to make sure the coast is clear to make a lane change.

Just to make sure I was giving this helmet a fair shake, I came home and put on my Scorpion exo700 and went back out riding and it was a truly night and day difference. After all of this I thought to myself, "Well, at least I have a helmet for a passenger." But really I'd be ashamed to hand this to any girl I'd let ride on the back of my bike. I think this one is going to be given to my nephews to wear while riding their go-carts.

So, obviously I wouldn't recommend this helmet. Hate to bash it this bad but I'd rather give you guys my honest opinion and steer you away vs. saying "eh, it's pretty good for what it is" and then someone waste money on one.

FitZ6R

I think this one is going to be given to my nephews to wear while riding their go-carts.
"Gee, thanks Uncle Arkkorn, but we read on the FZ6R forum that it's absolute garbage!" :D :D

Thanks for the candid review!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

ajskillz13

I've noticed a lot of bad reviews on this helmet. Proof of why it went on clearance so fast. Bell has already released a Revolver Evo for 2012 to replace it. They've addressed the sound and cheapness issues apparently.

I pointed my father-in-law towards these at first, but changed my mind after reading some reviews. It's a shame their first attempt failed so miserably. Hopefully the new model is at least usable.

yfz6r

I use TMS helmets. Usually spend 30 bucks. If I ever drop it or bang it hard at all, I throw it out and pick out a new one. I've been on my current helmet for about a year and all the cushion is dried and cracked. Time for a new cheap helmet.

They are legit dot approved. But like any helmet, should be thrown out with any damage.
Very noisy but comfortable and good range of vision for me. And in my price range.

arkkornkid

"Gee, thanks Uncle Arkkorn, but we read on the FZ6R forum that it's absolute garbage!" :D :D

Thanks for the candid review!
:D Yeah well, these are big ol' country boys that if they're lucky can get those things up to 15 mph, so I was thinking they may not have the same issues with it that I had.

Alex6

I use TMS helmets. Usually spend 30 bucks. If I ever drop it or bang it hard at all, I throw it out and pick out a new one. I've been on my current helmet for about a year and all the cushion is dried and cracked. Time for a new cheap helmet.

They are legit dot approved. But like any helmet, should be thrown out with any damage.
Very noisy but comfortable and good range of vision for me. And in my price range.
How much do you value your brains?

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member