Bearing whine from the gear case?

djf18374

Hello forum! I have an interesting problem that popped up in the last couple months. When I ride in 4th gear at or around 6,000 RPM there is an audible whining noise under acceleration or deceleration. It happens ONLY in 4th gear in a narrow RPM band (6k RPM to 6400 RPM) and is not noticed outside that RPM band or gear. If I am using neutral throttle input (just enough to maintain speed) I don't hear the whining. As soon as I give more throttle or start to decelerate, it comes back.
Anyone have a clue what this could be? And am I in for some financial pain if this needs repair?

2009 FZ6R with less than 7k miles, oil changed every fall before storage, never beat on or had any mechanical issues, I am the only owner since it came off the showroom. I have the YES warranty, but I don't think I have receipts for oil changes, much less the "proof of storage" BS they ask for in the warranty document.

Any help would be appreciated!

djf18374

Bump...

Anyone have this issue?

Chucker

I, and a lot of others, get a buzz coming from the front sprocket area. This is chain noise from it running on the guide. It happens all of the time on mine, and if I move my left knee outward while riding, I can really hear it. Not sure if this is what you're hearing, but if it is, it's nothing to worry about.

If it's not, I would have a mechanic check it out if you can't figure it out yourself. If you describe it on here in a way that someone misunderstands, they could give you bad advice that could lead to catastrophic results. Someone who knows what they're doing needs to experience it.

Last edited: