Bad form will get you everytime.

raven6

Don't know if this is a re-post or not.. and it may be in the wrong area, mods please move if needed...

anyway, here's a good example of riding "crossed up"... you can here dude dragging hard parts, not to mention dude is not dressed for this type of riding... at least he walked away..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMbFlPzS24&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Highside Motorcycle Crash on Mulholland[/ame]

Roaddawg

Looks like he goosed that throttle alittle too soon...He did have nice form through the air though!:D

e.blackadder

That's precisely why I shy away from FZ1. Sometimes my common sense circuit goes on stand-by and I get frisky with the throttle.

BTW, all the pople on the side of the road; Every time I see a vid from Mulholland or thereabout there are crowds--what's up with that? Don't these people have jobs, lives?

Sorry, I'm grumpy.

NoDoze

I've never been there, but I think some people are spectators at the spots where people usually go down? Cameras are probably set up there most of the time and people just hang out. Just my crazy speculation.

Some of the other riders who've been through there might be able to shed light into this subject.

DakinechicK

What exactly happened here? I'm not catching it...?

sammy56

Looks like multiple issues including not understanding centrifugle force. I think he was simply pushing the bars and leaning the bike until the peg feelers would scrape. Clearly no ability to hang off and set up a correct and "best" center of gravity.

Tmak73

So what would you have done? use some counter weight and shift to the right side a little? I am just curious too cause I didn't understand exactly went wrong.

RoadTrip

Looks to me like he was pushing the bike down in the corner with body too high over the bike instead of on the inside of the corner. So, the bike was leaning more than needed for the turn. Then, when the bike lost rear traction, he wrestled the bars and the bike stood up and re-hooked causing the high side.

Keith Code says don't fight the bars and chop the throttle when rear traction is lost, rather stay cool and light on the bars and maintain throttle position, the bike will self correct and return to a stable position on its own, or at worst low side (a less dangerous crash). Sounds easy, but panic is a hard thing to control. If he hadn't been pushing the bike under him, he may have never lost traction in the first place.

NoDoze

Yup, bad body position, scraped pegs or other parts which lifts the rear end. This results in traction taken away from the rear wheel as it slides (rider probably chops throttle). The wheel recovers traction, it catches and upsets the bike's current trajectory - results in a high side that bucks the rider off!

Last edited:

Sparkxx1

Damn, if you're going to lean that far, wear the proper gear so you can do this! Although I doubt you need to lean that far, his body position was just horrible!

Heineken

Elite Member

bigpish13

I personally think some of it has to do with a little bit of inexperience and also that these camera/video men also distracting the riders. just my 2 cents

scoobienorth

he had bad form and made a few mistakes but he wouldnt have went down if he didnt spin the rear tire, too much throttle too soon.

Roaddawg

Other the poor position what actually made him fly was clear on second 32 of the video, he gave it a twist of the wrist full of acceleration instead of constantly opening the throttle, and when the rear lost it he chopped the throttle closed, and voila, high side :)
he had bad form and made a few mistakes but he wouldnt have went down if he didnt spin the rear tire, too much throttle too soon.
Exactly! When you watch it in slow-mo, look at his right wrist and you can see how he twists it too much while still in a poor lean angle causing the rear tire to lose grip and slide. Our bike is alittle more forgiving on throttle inputs like that then a bike with twice the HP.