As much as I loved my FZ6R

Rich007

I had to get rid of her for a new Ninja 1000 with panniers.
The FZ6R never failed me and a very fun bike to ride with plenty of power for a beginner sport bike type. I will miss her.
The new Ninja 1000 is like the big brother to the FZ6R with alot more power and still retaining the upright riding position plus ABS & traction control.

latony007

I had to get rid of her for a new Ninja 1000 with panniers.
The FZ6R never failed me and a very fun bike to ride with plenty of power for a beginner sport bike type. I will miss her.
The new Ninja 1000 is like the big brother to the FZ6R with alot more power and still retaining the upright riding position plus ABS & traction control.
good luck, wish the FZ had ABS. I had a chance to really ride my nephews street triple at high speeds through some canyons and i noticed its not as easy handling as the 6r. had to push a lot harder to get it to lean over, let us know how the ninja handles when you get to some canyon runs.

Cerebus

good luck, wish the FZ had ABS. I had a chance to really ride my nephews street triple at high speeds through some canyons and i noticed its not as easy handling as the 6r. had to push a lot harder to get it to lean over, let us know how the ninja handles when you get to some canyon runs.
This surprises me considering our bike is a heavy pig. Everything I've read on the ST says they're pretty nimble.

latony007

This surprises me considering our bike is a heavy pig. Everything I've read on the ST says they're pretty nimble.
I was surprised too, so was my nephew when he got off my bike. that's how I knew it wasn't me because he also said my bike turns easier. He thought maybe it was a crappy tire he bought but I don't think so, it was a lower brand tire but it was new.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Rich007

Congrats!!!! Please post pics!! What color did you go with?.
I couldn't stand the green, I'm not a huge fan of the blue but those are the only 2 colors for the US market. I would have much rather had the black/grey combination like they had in 2012.

This is a pic of the bike right after I picked it up. I paid less than MSRP with the hard bags installed. Amazing machine.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

Congrats!!!! Please post pics!! What color did you go with?

Don't know what the ST has to do with the ninja, but it could very well be a function of the tires. I've rode my friends Daytona (essentially the same bike as the ST) many times, and his bike as well as mine have no problem destroying the FZ6R in nimbleness and cornering ability.
I was asking him to relate back how it handles compared to the FZ, If I ever upgraded it would most likely be the ninja 1000 unless they start full fairings on the fz1. Anyway im not sure how exactly close the Daytona is I haven't ridden one but It could very well be the tire I am no expert. I was just surprised. I can't see the picture at work but the kawi green is really the only one I don't like. Good luck and have fun!

Rich007

I was asking him to relate back how it handles compared to the FZ, If I ever upgraded it would most likely be the ninja 1000 unless they start full fairings on the fz1. Anyway im not sure how exactly close the Daytona is I haven't ridden one but It could very well be the tire I am no expert. I was just surprised. I can't see the picture at work but the kawi green is really the only one I don't like. Good luck and have fun!
Not sure about the handling as of yet, it only has about 60 miles on the bike so far and I am not about to push new tires that aren't broke in yet. It's going to take some time to figure out were I want all the suspension setting.

The first thing I did when I got home is took off the hard bags and made sure the tire pressure was good. This weekend I am going to make sure all the bolts are tight and do my own PDI on the bike then try and set up the suspension.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Rich007

The ST and Daytona are very similar except for the front handlebar setup.

You can get fairings for the FZ1, I thought about it for some time! Yamaha Gen II Lower fairing install/review - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum
I looked at the FZ1 and seriously considered it but for the money you get so much more with the Ninja. ABS, traction control (selctable), full and low power engine modes, Fuel economy readings (not a big deal), 3 position windscreen plus the panniers are really simple to install and don't look too bad. I think everything on the Kawi just looks better and is more refined than the FZ1. The FZ1 really needs to go back to the drawing board so that you can compare it and I'm sure when Yamaha does it, it will be a force to be reckoned with.

latony007

The ST and Daytona are very similar except for the front handlebar setup.

You can get fairings for the FZ1, I thought about it for some time! Yamaha Gen II Lower fairing install/review - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum
Thats awesome i did not know that, however Rich brings up a good point with the ABS and other extras on the ninja. Im still in love with my 6R for the moment and they will probably re-design both before im ready anyway :)

Rich007

Thats awesome i did not know that, however Rich brings up a good point with the ABS and other extras on the ninja. Im still in love with my 6R for the moment and they will probably re-design both before im ready anyway :)
Tony, you live near the canyons in Malibu right? I am trying to plan a trip down that way from Seattle to ride some canyons and was wondering if they are really worth it for someone from up this wet way to come and ride.

latony007

Tony, you live near the canyons in Malibu right? I am trying to plan a trip down that way from Seattle to ride some canyons and was wondering if they are really worth it for someone from up this wet way to come and ride.
about 15 minutes. Well I would have to think that there is some great rides up there amongst all the trees but there is no better place to ride than socal for several reasons, #1 being the weather lol. #2 being the roads themselves and the scenary #3 we get to lane split and just dominate some roads around here on the weekends. Malibu and the canyons through there is a great ride, but even if you hit every canyon in there it probably would not take all day. However there are about 3 other awesome riding spots within an hour of there as well. Angeles Crest Highway is one of the most famous and about an hour from Malibu. that can take all day to ride that. There is also an excellent ride outside santa clarita where magic mountain is. We had a thread going where you could see some video of a fz6r group ride we took up at angeles crest. Anyway if you need any more info id be happy to help and give you directions or whatever. If you click the rockstore link on my signature those shots are from the Malibu run. there is 2 guys set up there taking your photos at different points during the run. In fact if you make it and want some company let me know i am so close i can certainly hit Malibu with you if its a weekend. Seeing as how we are both bond fans :)

here is the link
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f35/so-cal-forum-meet-up-1-14-pictures-video-30694/

Last edited:

Rich007

about 15 minutes. Well I would have to think that there is some great rides up there amongst all the trees but there is no better place to ride than socal for several reasons, #1 being the weather lol. #2 being the roads themselves and the scenary #3 we get to lane split and just dominate some roads around here on the weekends. Malibu and the canyons through there is a great ride, but even if you hit every canyon in there it probably would not take all day. However there are about 3 other awesome riding spots within an hour of there as well. Angeles Crest Highway is one of the most famous and about an hour from Malibu. that can take all day to ride that. There is also an excellent ride outside santa clarita where magic mountain is. We had a thread going where you could see some video of a fz6r group ride we took up at angeles crest. Anyway if you need any more info id be happy to help and give you directions or whatever. If you click the rockstore link on my signature those shots are from the Malibu run. there is 2 guys set up there taking your photos at different points during the run. In fact if you make it and want some company let me know i am so close i can certainly hit Malibu with you if its a weekend. Seeing as how we are both bond fans :)

here is the link
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f35/so-cal-forum-meet-up-1-14-pictures-video-30694/
Nice I may have to take you up on that if I make my down there this year. We have a tone of great rides down here too that lead up into the mountains. One of the best rides I have been on in Washington was Hwy 504 going up to Mt. St Helens. Look it up on Google maps, long stretch of hwy with fast twities. My FZ6R was maxed out in 6th gear at 135 and I was being passed by a friends R-1.

latony007

Nice I may have to take you up on that if I make my down there this year. We have a tone of great rides down here too that lead up into the mountains. One of the best rides I have been on in Washington was Hwy 504 going up to Mt. St Helens. Look it up on Google maps, long stretch of hwy with fast twities. My FZ6R was maxed out in 6th gear at 135 and I was being passed by a friends R-1.
Thats awesome, i will google map that. here is one i went on last weekend with my nephew and his street triple. Thats me geting on the triple at the very end. Sorry it gets wavy at times, if anyone knows why that happens let me know but i assume its just a crappy cam. Im going to try and remount it or point it backward instead of through the shield. Anyway gives you an idea of the terrain,

San Francisquito Canyon FZ6R and Street Triple - YouTube

Rich007

Yeah horrible cam option but the terrain looks amazing.
Here is a look at 504, as you can see from the map there are high speeds straights plus corners, it's 41 miles uphill. The last time I did this ride we had 30 bikes flying up the hill balls out and when we got up to the top it was nice and sunny then the clouds moved in along with rain. We ended up jamming down the hill to get out of the rain then had one guy on a new 2013 R-1 rear end another guy on a Ninja and did a total yard sale of the R-1. The guy on the Ninja was rushed to the hospital and the guy on the R-1 walked away. Pay attention out there this year people!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Toutle,+WA/Johnston+Ridge+Observatory,+24000+Spirit+Lake+Hwy,+Toutle,+WA+98649/@46.327102,-122.7403656,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x54940451ecad8b59:0x45bcd9e90ac71c1f!2m2!1d-122.7365001!2d46.3248338!1m5!1m1!1s0x5496a7bfc06175d9:0xc98e24c1df464e34!2m2!1d-122.217706!2d46.275387!3e0