Arai Helmet Air Flow

ajskillz13

I would appreciate any feedback from Arai helmet owners...

I just tried out my wife's new Signet Q on the way into work this morning to see if I liked it any more than my Bell. It is definitely comfortable and light, but I noticed a TON of air flow inside the helmet... to the point of being annoying.

First thing I did was lock the shield down and double check all of the vents on the front. They were all closed. I noticed that when I tilted my head down, I got a huge rush of air from the top of the shield.

Obviously, my first thought is that the shield is not sealing properly. However, I don't notice any breaks in contact with the seal and when I blow into that crack, it only fogs above the seal.

Am I crazy to think that with all vents closed and the shield properly installed, the helmet should be fairly quiet with very little air flow? My Bell sure is like that. It will move air when you need it, but it seals when you don't.

My wife mentioned this extra air flow, but I assumed it was from under her chin. She loves the fit of the helmet so much, the only option is to figure out how to fix this. There's no way we can ride on a cold day with this.

:surrender::surrender::surrender:

Alex6

I would appreciate any feedback from Arai helmet owners...

I just tried out my wife's new Signet Q on the way into work this morning to see if I liked it any more than my Bell. It is definitely comfortable and light, but I noticed a TON of air flow inside the helmet... to the point of being annoying.

First thing I did was lock the shield down and double check all of the vents on the front. They were all closed. I noticed that when I tilted my head down, I got a huge rush of air from the top of the shield.

Obviously, my first thought is that the shield is not sealing properly. However, I don't notice any breaks in contact with the seal and when I blow into that crack, it only fogs above the seal.

Am I crazy to think that with all vents closed and the shield properly installed, the helmet should be fairly quiet with very little air flow? My Bell sure is like that. It will move air when you need it, but it seals when you don't.

My wife mentioned this extra air flow, but I assumed it was from under her chin. She loves the fit of the helmet so much, the only option is to figure out how to fix this. There's no way we can ride on a cold day with this.

:surrender::surrender::surrender:
It is very possible the helmet does not fit you as snug as Arai suggests, or the head shape and a shell shape is not a good match.

ajskillz13

It is very possible the helmet does not fit you as snug as Arai suggests, or the head shape and a shell shape is not a good match.
This has nothing to do with fit... I know that I would probably be more into the RX-Q, but that has nothing to do with the air flow. It fits very similar to my Bell around the neck and cheeks. The air flow up and in is minimal. Plus, my wife was fitted for this helmet and gets the same results.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Never had any air flow issues with my Vector-2. I would think it was the shield. I would take the shield off and put it back on again making sure everything was groovy.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did take the shield off at lunch and put it back in. It moves and seals correctly as before. However, after another test ride, I did find the answer to the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know that there is a solution.

I was wrong in my last post... air is circulating up from the chin area. With everything closed, I held my hand under my chin and moved around in the wind... no air flow. When I removed it, I instantly got air again. This happened even with the chin spoiler pulled down.

I guess it is just how the Arai is designed aerodynamically. If I lift up my chin, less air comes in, but once I lower it, it seems like it somehow sucks air up past my face and across my brows. I'm not going to lie, it felt awesome in the warm weather! However, it was a bit annoying this morning when it was in the 50s.

I'll just have to have her wear her neck warmer and stuff it up there when it is cold. Really no other solution.

Weird!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if Arai makes them, but I know that Scorpion makes an air dam or aero skirt that covers the gap under the chin bar. I have one and it makes a world of difference in cutting down on the air that circulates up from under the chin. Works really well on keeping the cold air out as well.

Scorpion Aero Skirt For EXO-1000 Helmets :: MotorcycleGear.com

ajskillz13

I don't know if Arai makes them, but I know that Scorpion makes an air dam or aero skirt that covers the gap under the chin bar. I have one and it makes a world of difference in cutting down on the air that circulates up from under the chin. Works really well on keeping the cold air out as well.

Scorpion Aero Skirt For EXO-1000 Helmets :: MotorcycleGear.com
The Arai has that built in. It actually pulls out about two inches when needed. Unfortunately, this doesn't help much. My Bell chin skirt actually seems less significant, but i don't get any of this air.