Anybody added additional LED lights?

Yone

Has anybody added additional LED lights to their bikes - outside of adding them to the "power crystal"/headlight housing and air vents. In my MSF course the instructor was talking about adding lights to the lower front forks. Just makes me wonder if anybody has done that, or added them on the side of the bike for additional visibility...

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about LED's on the forks, but I have known people to put small fog lights on the forks for added visibility of themselves, as well as for better illumination for night riding.

cbzdel

Are you talking about a running light or a fog light??

My instructor (we could of had the same one hah!, I had Don the BIG guy that rode a white Harley) talked about the exact same thing in the how to make yourself more noticeable section..

Yone

Are you talking about a running light or a fog light??

My instructor (we could of had the same one hah!, I had Don the BIG guy that rode a white Harley) talked about the exact same thing in the how to make yourself more noticeable section..
I don't think my instructor was Don... I had a tall, kindof slender guy with glasses and goatee; he didn't drive his bike because the weather wasn't too great.

Yeah, he was talking about a foglight or extra headlights on the forks. I brought up the LED's thinking about running lights somewhere on the sides...

GoGreen09

I also thought the extra lights on the forks were a great idea, but I scratched the idea when I saw some of the choices. It just doesn't go with the "look". I know, safety before vanity, so I'm keeping my eye out for a better alternative to the round fog lights that can be attached to the forks.

cbzdel

how about a fog light inside the air scoops :)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have thought about putting some oval fog lights where the reflectors are on the front forks. It may require a little metal fabbing to get a bracket to fit, but the spot is already there.

adidaskid810

as i sat at a stop sign to turn out onto a main road here, a harley rode by and he had moved his left turn blinker onto the front of his fork but the right remained in stock location. it looked rather weird but you coud definitely tell it was a motorcycle coming

EastBayFizzer6

Has anyone had any trouble with the stator adding additional lights and/or an HID headlight? I also want to add heated grips. I am worried that I will put too big of a strain on the factory electrical system. Advice?

JSP

Super Moderator
Has anyone had any trouble with the stator adding additional lights and/or an HID headlight? I also want to add heated grips. I am worried that I will put too big of a strain on the factory electrical system. Advice?
Ok, lets see if I can get this right with my calcs... We had to go through this on my old Rebel and found out the charging system was very limited with the output wattage and we couldnt add much accessories.

Our output from what I can see in the service manual is 330 watts at 5,000 rpm if I am looking at the correct number. So we cannot exceed that with what we add. BUT you need to take into account whats already on the bike. Headlight, taillight, etc.

So lets add those up and see what we are left with!

Headlight is 60W/55W. So lets go with 60W to be safe.
Taillight is 5W and 21W when you hit the breaks. So we will go with 21W to be safe.
Turn signal lights are 21W x 2, so 42W there.
License plate light is 5W.

Added up:
60W+21W+42W+5W=128W

330-128=202 watts left, if the 330 number is correct. So all your accessories added up together cannot be more than 200 watts. But that is at 5k RPM, not at idle. I cannot see what the output of the bike is at idle though, so I wouldnt push it close to the limit as you will be draining the battery unless you are at 5k rpm.

Anything electrical that you add, should be added on a new accessory relay so it will not put drag on any other circuit.

From what I can see about the grip heaters, they use around 36 Watts. That would pose no problem for the electrical system at all.