Any of you guys ever had a major mechanical failure with your 6r?

Millhouse

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before or seems like kind of a newb question.

I'm just curious if any of you guys have ever had anything major break on your bike? I'm not talking normal wear items (chains, sprockets, filters, ect.) I mean things like bearings, rods, tranny or clutch troubles.

The reason I ask is I like to RIDE my fz and sometimes I go to bed at night thinking "I wonder if that hurts anything" lol. I don't abuse her, but I like to get into the corners where its not uncommon to be in the 8k rpm range, wind her up in the straights here and there, and the occasional little clutch up wheelie.

I haven't had any trouble so far, and I do use good oil, clean and lube the chain every 500 miles, and wash her to help balance out "enjoying" it :D

CtrlAltDl

Nope, still trying to though... ;-)

Revving to 14k doesn't seem to break it. I guess I'll have to find another way to kill it, so I have an excuse to swap in the R6 motor.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

WhiteFZ

3100 miles on my wife's 2010, and only problem I had was the screws that hold the brake hose bracket and fender to the fork came loose. I haad to improvise some screws, but I ended up using some black allen head bolts that worked so good, it looks OEM.

Sage

One of the cowling bolts fell out in the last 400 miles, but that's not really a failure lol

Recvery

I broke a clutch cable at 25,000 miles. But it was normal wear for my riding style :rolleyes:

Bert-Aus

Thread Revival!
This thread was from 2011

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

blkbrd

Elite Member

Detrich

Radiator on my 2012 R1 sprung a leak a few months ago. A rock or pebble punctured it while on the freeway. When I arrived at my destination that day I noticed coolant on the ground and then saw the puncture when I looked for the leak. Cost a LOT of $$ to fix, and basically had to get a new radiator. But, was thankful engine didn't overheat while I was on the road, and that I caught it the way I did. I was able to get AAA to flatbed me home and then again to the dealer. They said they fix maybe 2 or 3 of these a year at best, and it's just really rotten bad luck. It's very rare re radiator to get punctured by a rock on the freeway. But, it can happen.

latony007

All the better! It gives more time on the road for the bikes. Me personally, not a single problem yet. I maintain it meticulously though, and there is no part of this motorcycle I don't trust 100%. :)
That is honestly my favorite feature of this bike. i totally trust it. I think its just a piece of precision engineering. I have no fear its going to break or more importantly be the cause of me going down.

Billsbet0

Met a guy couple weeks ago at the shop I take my ford excursion to. He put 180,000 miles on his r1 before trading it in for a newer model. Said he never had a problem with it.

Detrich

A previous member here, Brian, had a 2009 raven FZ6-R that was a lemon. After he got an attorney and about 1.5 years later, Yamaha finally bought it back. He since left the forum, so I dunno if he ever replaced it with a CBR like he planned. Also just bad luck. Any mass-manufactured product will have a small % of defective units.