Any A/V Nuts Here; Need Tech Help

Brock Kickass

So, I have been putting together a home system for a while now and am almost set up.
Components are: Toshiba smart TV, iPad, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, and a Panasonic SA-PT480 Home Theatre in a Box.
I just added the Apple TV, and before that was able to control the volume of the stereo amp with the TV remote. With the TV on, I could turn the stereo on and it would automatically default to the surround speakers and when I turned the TV volume up or down it would turn the stereo up or down. In the bottom corner of the screen where it normally said volume and had the bar graph it changed to amplifier volume and the graph. The stereo was connected with an optical audio cable and a HDMI cable and the amp was set to the optical input.
When I set up the Apple TV I used the HDMI, and now I can't control the amp volume with the TV remote. Problem is, I have no idea how it worked in the first place; I thought the commands were going via the optical cable. So, if I get another HDMI cable hooked back up, how do I make the TV control the amp volume.
Before the suggestions roll in to change components, here's why I'm not. My wife bought me the HTIB, and her feeling will be hurt if I buy a network compatible amp with AirPlay. It is important to me to control the amp with the TV because all of my components are hidden in the basement, so the HTIB remote can't see the amp and won't work. Also, I have an iPad app to control the TV, so with the MacBook and Apple TV I am only one step away from controlling my entire A/V system using an iPad as a universal remote, therefore being able to get rid of all component remotes and reduce clutter.
I've been searching online high and low and can't seem to solve this one, so any help would be appreciated. If anyone can tell me how to set up the TV to control the amp, I'm in business!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

The Apple TV is not connected to the HTIB directly. The former setup was TV to HTIB via HDMI and optical, and then I robbed that HDMI cord/input to connect the Apple TV to the TV, leaving the optical cable connected to the HTIB. I am getting another HDMI this AM to reconnect the TV to the HTIB like it was. The problem I am having is that I have no clue how I made the TV remote control the HTIB volume to begin with. I was a lot of button pushing and cursing and suddenly it worked. If anyone knows the procedure (or the 4-digit remote code) it would help. I am not looking forward to the trial and error setup method.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Thanks for the help Nismos, managed to get it going. I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but even though the audio signal goes from the TV to the amp via an optical cable, if you run an HDMI from the HDMI out on the HTIB to an unused HDMI input on the TV the volume control will control the HTIB, no matter which input the TV is using. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time. We're all up and running and no remotes on the table!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member