Another bike down, but not out.

btastarsky

Well, I had my first real accident today with my fz6r. Was trying to head to the PA state police test from my local bank (needed parking garage money). I get behind a lady in the McDonald's parking lot next to the bank. She stops, I stop. Then she decides she wants to back into a space. Mind you, I am 8 feet away from her bumper. She never checker her mirrors and starts whipping the car into a space. Her front bumper next to the wheel well slams into my left leg and knocks me and the bike over. Couple of small knicks on the bike, but nothing major. Her car never touched the bike, just my leg. Then she sat in the car for about 30 seconds crying before she got out to see if i was ok. My right foot was pinned under the bike and I couldn't lift it enough to get it free until she got out and helped. My bike spilled some coolant (either leak from hit or overflow) so I had it towed to the nearest yamaha dealer. People in cars just dont think. I encourage everyone on this forum to do whatever it takes to make sure people can see and or hear you. My bike is blue, my jakcet and helmet are blue. Perhaps if I had installed an aftermarket exhaust, she might have heard me (a correction I will make once the bike is out of the shop). Luckily nothing broken or torn in my leg.

ramflyer1899

True, cars just don' see us. However, is there anything you could have done differently? Not saying it was your fault, but take this incident as a way to learn...perhaps staying in the car's mirror (not that she used it) or keeping your light in their mirror. Using your horn. Riding a wheelie over the car etc. I'm just kidding but take the opportunity to learn is all I'm saying.

I mean obviously the lady was having a Mac Attack and was going to hit you regardless. At there very least I hope she got you a burger because we all know she's paying to have your bike fixed.

Having a forum where we can post our lessons learned is a great resource! Glad you are okay!!

WenMark

Glad your Ok. I hope she paid for your bike repair and at least a massage for that leg. Did you get her information. If you have problems with your leg later on document it. Always wait a couple weeks. I know when I hurt my shoulder it really did not give me trouble till a couple months later.

Funkmaxtor

True, cars just don' see us. However, is there anything you could have done differently? Not saying it was your fault, but take this incident as a way to learn...perhaps staying in the car's mirror (not that she used it) or keeping your light in their mirror. Using your horn. Riding a wheelie over the car etc. I'm just kidding but take the opportunity to learn is all I'm saying.

I mean obviously the lady was having a Mac Attack and was going to hit you regardless. At there very least I hope she got you a burger because we all know she's paying to have your bike fixed.

Having a forum where we can post our lessons learned is a great resource! Glad you are okay!!
I like the option of riding a wheelie over the car. Stylish and getting you out of a pinch!

Glad to hear your okay!

oyamyers

Sorry this happened but thanks for the story. We all need these reminders that things can happen anywhere. Always be ready. Hope your bike gets fixed soon and gets you back out there. Maybe you should name your bike "mac attack" and have it painted on your tank.

btastarsky

I think they only thing I could have done to prevent this would have been to honk my horn at her when she first stopped, because she sat there for about 20 seconds. The accident happened at 11:30 am, so lights in the mirror wouldn't have really done anything, IMO. As I stated tho, she tried whipping that car into the space. I had less than half a second to react due to the speed of her backing the car up, even with the 8 foot gap between our vehicles. If I were to show any of you the place where it happened, you'd see that this parking setup is a formula for motorcycle disaster. I think from now on I'm gonna use the farther atm of the same branch from my house because its set up a bit better. I hope that once I get the Arrow exhaust system on, people will hear me coming. That I think will help prevent future accidents and close calls.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Don't rely on the hope that other people are going to hear or see you. You alone are responsible for your own safety. With that said, I am glad that you are alright and that it was only minor scratches to the bike.

Get things fixed up and get back on the road, safely. ;)

btastarsky

I agree that i cant rely on other people seeing/hearing me, but every step i can take towards making myself more visible will certainly help. It's just a shame that people on the road dont respect each other enough to make sure they operate their vehicles (cars, motorcycles, or otherwise) in the safest manner possible. Everyone takes things for granted and doesn't double check anything.

In any case, I hope everyone here rides safe and can walk away from the accidents that do occur like I have. Oh yeah, and the score is Me:1 Honda Accord:0 due to her front bumper ripping off against my leg. :D

ramflyer1899

As I stated tho, she tried whipping that car into the space. I had less than half a second to react due to the speed of her backing the car up, even with the 8 foot gap between our vehicles. If I were to show any of you the place where it happened, you'd see that this parking setup is a formula for motorcycle disaster.
Classic signs of the Mac Attack! Hopefully she learned something that day!

MNDZA

Glad everything turned out okay, but I think in the time she had stopped, put it in reverse, and closed an 8 foot gap to you, you could have honked at her. I'm not saying it would have definitely prevented it because some people don't pay attention to sounds or have their music too loud, but it helps. Ride safe and watch out for those idiots....they're everywhere!

btastarsky

I have thought of that as well since the accident, but I doubt it would have helped. This woman was in her own little world. The sob story she gave me afterwards proved it to me. She is the type of driver who goes places via subconscious autopilot, not by actually paying attention to her surroundings and actually driving.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

cbzdel

glad you ok, but next time hit that horn, I use mine all the time, even if the people see me.. Just makes sure they know I am there..

GoGreen09

I definitely learned something from this - I definitely don't use my horn enough, but I'm not exactly sure that you can wake the driving zombies with it though. I may opt to get a louder horn. As for the exhaust, I was putting this off till the funds got replenished. I think I will have to revisit the TBR even if it breaks the bank. Besides the badass sound, it should generate enough attention so dumbasses don't back into you!

btastarsky

Well, good news. Nothing wrong mechanically with my bike, all cosmetic damage. Unfortunately for her, they are replacing everything on the right side of the bike for the most part. Gonna call her insurance today and give them the information. Once that's done, gonna have the shop do the work, get my exhaust system, and get back on the road. I hope that we all learned by this story, hence why I shared it with all of you. I also think I'll avoid that particular mcdonalds from now on while on the bike.