Am I too heavy for this bike?

MNDZA

ADDED: THIS IS CONCERNING THE FZ6R.....not the FZ6.
I hope not because I already paid for it and am awaiting delivery. I weigh just under 240 and was wondering if I am going to have any problems riding this bike. I also heard that the rear suspension has 7 settings. Is this true and will it accommodate my weight? Which setting would I use? This is my first bike so that should explain why I know nothing about this.

W

wildcardfz

You should be fine i'm 6'0 and 235. I've had mine for a year now and i'm still using the stock setting on the suspension. I've thought about stiffening it but just havent had the need to.

D

dako81

You'll want to adjust the preload up to 6 or 7 most likely. If that doesn't work well enough for you, you can always look into buying a stiffer rate spring and having it installed. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem tho if you up the preload.

C

CdnMedic

You will be fine! I'm 190ish and I carry adults on the back, it still works great!

S

sfcali86

im over 250 and 6'2 youll be fine the bike is make to handle a max capacity of over 400 pounds it still hauls a** with me on it no problem

R

Red Wazp

With this being your first bike DON'T DO ANYTHING. Talk to your dealer about spring setting for your weight.
Put some miles on it, say at least 500 to 1,000 to get to know the bike. Then if you feel the need to stiffin the rear spring do a small adjustment, ride for a while and change as needed.
I weigh 200#'s and stiffened my rear shock for riding hard in the twistys after I had put some miles on it first. Not really needed for just putting around.

A

Aleziel

the bikes maximum load is 418 lbs, so unless you want to ride with another heavy person, you should be fine

MNDZA

Cool thanks for the replies. 418lbs....we are talking about the NEW FZ6R right?

S

Smittyboy

PURELY HYPOTHETICALLY what should go wrong if say a 285lb individual went two up with a 230lb individual? Just hypothetical off course...
I can say with certainty you'll be fine. I'm coincidentally 285lbs and 6'2''
Stiffest preload of course.

Ooter

You should be fine with the FZ6R. I'm 200 lbs and the bike is fine - 40 more lbs will not change that significantly. And yes, the total load is over 400 lbs as another poster said.

Yes, the rear shock has 7 preload settings.

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
Racetec will take your wieght and be glad to do the math to make sure you get exactly the right springs for fork tubes and rear. No problems if later on you decide you need them. Not a problem in the world.

Ooter

Cool thanks for the replies. 418lbs....we are talking about the NEW FZ6R right?
I just looked in my owners manual for the FZ6R - the maximum load is 414 lbs.

I think a lot of the posters in this thread are referring to the FZ6.

This is making me wish Yamaha had made the name of the FZ6R more than one character different from that bike :)

M

Mississippi

I am 6'-7" and a 245 lbs. I have my preload set to 4. It is a little soft. I mostly commute on the bike, and I do not have any problems. I even ride my 60lb daughter around the neighborhood every now and then without any issues.

BTW, I had an 08 ninja 250r, same weight for me, and I set the preload on it to one below the stiffest position. I did not have any problems. You should not have anything to worry about.

reiobard

I am a hair over 240 and set the rear spring to 6 and i am as happy as can be.

B

bigdog9191999

i dont have the preload up (i know i should) and have not had any problems with mine, but over half of my riding is just commuting although i am known to push a little sometimes.

the way my body is built i look about 270 ish but i come in at over 330.. so you should be fine. (me and the wife about 140- 150 went 2 up for a bit till she started riding)

Roaddawg

In regards to the FZ6R...I'm 6'4"/220 and have not adjusted the preload yet. It's at the stock setting of 3. It's a little soft and I plan on adjusting it up to 4 or 5 here soon. But it rides great the same. As in power/weight ratio...you'll be fine. I'm still in break-in period and there's plenty of power to get me going (and that's keeping it under the 6k RPM range for break in).