Aki's HID/Power Crystal Mod

aki

Thanks to Rabbitman's Affordable HID Retrofitting Services!!, I have just completed my HID Retrofit/Power Crystal mod to devirginize my brand new 2012 FZ6R. (Mini H1 Projector, 5000K Bulb, 100mm Red XBaLED ring, Apollo 2.0 Shroud, White Pod light)

And with the help of the forums, it allowed me to complete the installation and wiring, so I thought I'd also contribute and share. First of all, with the help of cavcuz05's Retro Fit Kit DIY and Lwclancer - Projector Retrofit I was able to figure out how to disassemble the headlight housing to send to Chad.

Super quick turnaround getting the headlights back, I reversed the steps to re-assemble the housing. I really suck at electronics, and dropped out of EE and became a ME so it took a while for me to figure out how and where to wire the Power Crystal and the Halo, but here's the breakdown of what I did.

HID Wiring
1) Installed the headlight to the front fairing using the "Y" bracket
2) Put the headlight/front fairing back on the bike
3) Wire the HID ballast and connect all wires

4) Run wires to Battery along frame

5) Connect wires to Battery

6) Test HID (low/high) and make sure you can move handle bars all the way without interference.

Power Crystal
1) Splice into blinkers (I used the front right for all time running)

2) Switch ignition to on, turns on

3) Start engine, stays on

Halo
1) I wired the halo the same as the Power Crystal. I plan on adding a switch at the dummy button location, wiring it through the ground (-) later to have the option to turn it on/off because the RED is not legal in CA.

So far so good! I have to say, HIDs make a world of a difference. I can actually see at night now! Thanks to Rabbitman and the forum for making this happen! For those trying to decide whether or not to retrofit HID, do it!

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

What is that light for anyways? My bike is stock and new and I don't know that it ever does anything. What's the point?

Nice write up, btw. Pictures are great.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Pointman1776

Elite Member
Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Great install write up, leaves me slacking going back to my sticky thread. I still need to do that!

aki

Looks great, haven't wanted to do a HID yet, but you might just got Rabbit another customer..

What parts did you use, I'd really like to mimic yours.
Rabbitman will let you in on all the details you need. FYI, my shroud is the Apollo 2.0, but there's a variety you can choose from... The Retrofit Source Shrouds