Air Filter

I plan on buying a air filter next, but I was wondering if anybody has a opinion of which is better! I know K&N is a good choice.....always, but Yamaha also has the GYTR air filter for our bike! It probably doesn't matter too much if you compare the two! Just curious though!

cbzdel

I got the K&N.. In all honestly, it felt a little more sluggish off the line but the top end appeared to approve according to my butt dyno..

But I attribute that to the bike being lean from the factory so it leaned it out even more...

I read a review on FZ6 forums back when we were still merged saying the GYTR was exactly the same as the K&N.. The filtering element is the same but K&N had a better warranty.

Hellgate

A friend of mine has been tuning bikes for over ten years, he owns a dealership, has tuned for many professional riders, and has not seen any gains from a mesh type filter in all those years of tuning.

Save your money, it's too hard to come by as it is...

"I have K&N filters in a couple of my engines, but most I keep the stock filter. After almost a decade of dyno tuning I have yet to see an actual gain on a modern sportsbike from a low restriction filter and often a tiny loss. I assume this due to a diminished resonant effect in the airbox since the filter "backflows" air as well as it does let it into the box to began with. Resonant frequency is determined by several variables including total airbox volume which is the volume from the filter to the intake valves of the motor. Now exceptions to this general rule are made for cruisers, especially Yamaha cruisers with their TINY little air filter, replacing it with a low restriction unit definitely makes power. The SXV and RXV are another example of anything or nothing being better than stock.

I suppose the thing we have to remember is that we do not care at all about big "flow" numbers, we care about charge trapping efficiency. This is what makes power, bigger holes and less restrictive filters will definitely win on a flow bench, we are not driving/riding flow benches.

In general sportbike airboxes seem to be very well designed and thought out from the factory. The Honda CBR1000RR is no exception but this was the first and only time I have ever had to actually read the instructions to install an aftermarket intake filter....
Number 1 and #2 at stuff on the forum."

ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc. - View Single Post - The "What's in the AF1 shop" Thread