After 4 years... finally going for it. Mods, mods, mods!

FWIW on the older sibling the FZ6 the solid blue is power, black w/blue trace is the ground for each sensor like the speed, TPS, lean angle all get their own color like green, yellow, pink, grey... etc which is the data from those sensors.

That said, I would venture to guess the R follows the same logic. Just look at the what is common to all sensors and you should be able to figure it out which wire you need based upon its physical location on the engine or transmission in this case.

Yes, O2 sensor must be unplugged or the ECU will be attempting corrections to your map.

Last edited:

tonofun

It's going to be one of those days I think...

Leaving for work this morning, my ABS warning light decides to stay lit up, and I have no speedo readings on the clock.

"Great, what's up with that?" I think. Then I think to myself

"Hang on, that might at least be giving me a clue as to where I could find a speed signal - in the rear ABS sensor ring. Better get it looked at or replaced first though."

So I continue on my merry way to work. At a roundabout, someone was kind enough to leave a large slick of diesel spillage everywhere and as I'm going around, the back-end of the bike slowly starts to slip away from me. I instinctively back off the throttle, and luckily my new tire finds some grip and I'm on my way again. :cool:

Half way to work, my 'Check Engine' light decides that it wants to join the party with the ABS warning light, so it comes on and stays on. Fan-****ing-tastic. I pull over, listen to the engine - nothing out of the ordinary. Turn it off, turn it back on again. No difference, light still on. Oh well, might as well carry on to work, only a mile and a half to go. :(

So now I'm sat here trying to decipher what I should be doing or checking from the service manual.

How's your day so far?? :mad:

Last edited:

tonofun

DIAGNOSTIC MODE
Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to "OFF" and set the engine stop switch to "ON".
2. Disconnect the wire harness coupler from the fuel pump.
3. Simultaneously press and hold the "SELECT" and "RESET" buttons, turn the main switch to "ON", and continue to hold the buttons for 8 seconds or more.
4. Etc etc​
Aw man, if it wan't for step 2 (which I'm guessing is either the green or white electrical connector on the bottom of the fuel tank) I could at least peek at the damn fault codes whilst I'm at work, but nooooo, I have to wait now till I travel a further 17 miles back home with the ECU in 'limp home' mode so I can get my hands on some tools so I can lift the fuel tank up. FFS.

tonofun

Actually, scratch that - the ECU fault code is displayed on the LCD display whenever you switch the main switch to "ON".

The diagnostic mode is for further testing of specific sensors and displaying their inputs/readings.

It's showing fault code 42, which is either :

A. Normal signals are not received from the speed sensor.
B. Open or short circuit of neutral switch lead.​

So, seeing as the ABS light came on first, guess which one I'm putting my money on...

It's bloody ironic really, considering all the time and frustration I've had recently trying to locate my 'phantom' speed sensor - now it's playing up! :p

And the manual insists my bike doesn't have one still - in the 'resolution list' for fault code 42, no. 4 is "Speed Sensor Malfunction - Replace the Speed Sensor - Refer to "Checking the Speed Sensor (XJ6F, XJ6FZ) on page 8-179."

My bike is the XJ6FA!!! :rant: :surrender:

If your tinkering interrupted the Neutral switch and the bike thinks its in N while its under load and at speed, this could cause this error.

Edit: or if Neutral indicator circuit is open or shorted.... it will cause this!

Obviously so could the speed sensor.

Like I said, the speed sensor is the only 3 wire sensor bolted to the transmission.... its pretty easy to find and looks nothing like the Neutral switch which is also on the transmission.

And you know you dont have to disconnect the fuel pump to read diagnostic codes. But it does add more load to the system.

Last edited:

tonofun

Like I said, the speed sensor is the only 3 wire sensor bolted to the transmission.... its pretty easy to find and looks nothing like the Neutral switch which is also on the transmission.
Cheers. I am now nearly 100% positive (so, 99%? lol) that my bike does not have a speed sensor bolted to the transmission, and instead the ECU uses the signal from the rear ABS sensor to calculate speed. Does the US FZ6R have ABS?? If it does that would throw my theory off.

So now I'm thinking about trying to look for the Speed Signal wire from the ECU to the dashboard clocks for the speedometer... Anyone have a clue on that?

With regards to my ECU/ABS error, yes I saw that it could also be the neutral circuit, but I haven't been anywhere near that as far as I can tell, and it's just too coincidental that first my ABS light comes on and then a few miles later the ECU flags a code possibly related to speed signals... And it's this that pushes me to my above conclusion regarding the speed sensors' absence, along with the fact that the service manual repeatedly states my model (XJ6FA, with ABS) doesn't have one.

I'm also going to buy an Autotune - being in the dark regarding the richness/lean-ness of the engine is really starting to get to me. I'm positive it's running slightly too rich most of the time at the moment, but I don't know it is.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I don't have a schematic for an xj6fa and finding a parts fiche diagram for that model is near impossible.

Could they use the ABS ECU to input data to the engine ecu? Yes! The CPS and a speed sensor on the final drive are required so the engine ecu knows what gear the bike is in to execute the fuel and igniton maps. That said, they could use both or just the abs ecu data.

That said, the data type and output signals from each are not likely interchangeable. Your hardware may not be compatible!

This is not applicable but look at item 20 and its location...

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2012 FZ6R - FZ6RBCB ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram

BTW - you cant just tap into the signal going to the gauge cluster. The ecu's data to the cluster is mutiplexed. That is, a single wire of data is streamed to the cluster for items like Tach/RPM, speed, engine temperature, CEL, diagnostic data, air temp, coolant temp warning light and oil level warning light.... you can not connect to that wire for the data you need!

tonofun

BTW - you cant just tap into the signal going to the gauge cluster. The ecu's data to the cluster is mutiplexed. That is, a single wire of data is streamed to the cluster for items like Tach/RPM, speed, engine temperature, CEL, diagnostic data, air temp, coolant temp warning light and oil level warning light.... you can not connect to that wire for the data you need!
FECK!!! :mad:

tonofun

Update:

Well dear viewers, now I'm holding a brand spanking new DynoJet Autotune unit in my hands :D

The wideband O2 sensor is about twice the size of the factory stock sensor though, so I'm trying to organise with my good fellas at Pro Speed Exhausts this afternoon getting the supplied weld-in threaded bung installed this afternoon with any luck. Then I'll get around to installing the sensor and the rest of it hopefully some time over the weekend.

Still no joy finding a speed signal yet... I'll have another look at the outside of the transmission housing whilst installing the Autotune to see if I can find a speed sensor.

Can anyone supply a photo of what it looks like on their bike for me please?

And also, can anyone tell me if the US FZ6R has ABS or not?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tonofun

No ABS on USA models. MistahT has a YouTube video of PC5 install, think it shows the speed sensor hook up. Only need it if running advanced gear maps.
I knew it!! I'm now convinced I won't find a sensor on the outside of my transmission housing (but I'll look - would love a picture of its location and appearance) and that it figures out its speed using the rear ABS sensor signals.

MistahT's video unfortunately doesn't explicitly show the speed sensor wire hookup, only that it was done afterwards...

And I would really like the ability to use advanced gear maps.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

tonofun

Great map, I can't use it anymore, because I changed my cams. It's the best map for the 6r hands down. I don't think I took pics of the wire. Do you have a service manual for your version of the 6r?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes, I have the service manual, and it keeps telling me there's no speed sensor on my model.

I can't use Marthy's Adv Gear RevB map regardless, or any map properly at all right now for that matter, because my bike is fitted with a feedback O2/Lamda sensor to the ECU which means the factory ECU is just trying to counteract any fuelling adjustments made by the PCV (though I believe it's adjustment range is quite limited).

I have what I need now to disable the stock O2 sensor, which I'm led to believe will result in the stock ECU defaulting to an extremely 'rich' fuelling profile (basically throwing in as much fuel as it can full time - I've seen AFR figures of 10.5 suggested :eek:).

This is what ultimately pushed me to buy the Autotune, because although I think it will go super rich, I won't know for sure and my booked dyno time is still three weeks away. With the Autotune, I'll know whats going on and as a bonus it'll adjust and 're-map' on the fly to keep sane AFR values, like having my own personal Dyno (almost).

PS: I might have a line on some FZ6 cams in the near future too ;)

Rumpig

O2 sensors are heated so if you unplug the factory one you need to remove it from the exhaust and put a bung in or it will get damaged. That plug you put in the connector just simulates the load the heater element draws, so the ecu thinks the O2 sensor is still there and won't throw a code.

Sounds like the ABS sensor is your speed sensor, I know some cars use this.