About to buy an FZ6R, but - NAVT

Phazer

Hi All,

I know, you may be thinking... Not Another Vibration Thread, but it is. The FZ6R is my No.1 choice and I'd really like to buy one closeby (so hard to find one in my area, especially low-low 2k miles), but guess what, it has the 6-7k rpm seat vibrating issue. At first I had no idea it was a "common issue", as I test rode the bike before finding the forum.

I've read (lemme count) ... 7 threads that contain information about this (+ 2 more how-to-do's), but one of the major questions has not been answered yet: what intervals does the bike need the throttle body synchronization. Once a year? Or at every X miles?

Oh, and if I may ask: please don't hijack the thread with "how much girls will love the vibration". Yes, it's funny, but the other threads are already cluttered with these remarks.

Ty!

One more thing: I'll make the dealer fix this before I buy it, but when I need to keep adjusting it I'd like to know what gadget to buy exactly. I'd appreciate a link or a tool name.

Edit: I've created this post in the wrong discussion and don't know how to move it. It should be in FZ6R Technical... sorry.

Last edited:

DakinechicK

....But, but, but, us girls LOVE the vibration. :leghump:

:troll:

Moved it to the correct area for ya. :)

FastFreddy

I think with Japanese engines, you are better off not touching much at all unless you really really want to. Believe me, I've fiddled with everything before with other vehicles, now I just change the fluids, filter, chain, tyres and pads and leave everything else alone as much as possible.

I don't really notice any vibrations, but there's one around 6500 or so, it's to do with the engine geometry, weights, harmonics etc. too hard to explain but basically all engines have a rev point where there is more vibrations than at other revs, I suppose if you control that, there's less vibrations at higher revs, cool.

Chevyfazer

The tool you would need to do the job your self can be made or bought, it's called a manometer. Here's a link of you want to build one http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/how-tos/39891-build-your-own-manometer-throttle-body-sync.html

But honestly if your worried about the vibration from a 4cly bike then riding might not be for you. The fz's in general are some of the smoothest bikes out there for what what they are, if you to to really feel what vibration is go ride a v-twin.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Phazer

Thank for moving the thread to the correct place, Super Moderator Girl :)

As many riders described the seat vibration can be from barely noticeable up to an intolerable degree. The one I tried was the latter (before dealer/service guy started fiddling with it). I used to have a 650R and the main reason for me looking for in i-4 engined bike was the vibration from the 650R's 2 cylinder engine.

What this whole issue seems to be is a standard maintenance thing. The throttle body synchornization, as per the service manual I just checked, should be done every 4k miles (p 7-3, item 5.). FastFreddy is right - I wouldn't feel overly comfortable doing this meself... so now the big question is how honest the dealer will be with me. I asked yesterday and they said that "something needed to be done with the fuel injectors" but I couldn't speak with the mechanic. I'm going back right now (finally not raining!) and do a test ride again and try to see what they'll tell me exactly. For example how much this particular TB sync is gonna cost me.

Jacobdahl: the goldwing is not a motorcycle... it's an interstate battleship :)

Michael Wilson

If you think the vibration is too much ride a harley :) I personally don't even notice the vibration because around that rpm range is normally when I'm hammering on it anyways so it vibrates across the rpm range.

BKP