'94 Yamaha XJ 600?

Taco

My friend recently purchased a 1994 Yamaha XJ 600. She has just started riding and it is her first bike. She had me ride it around town today and I noticed that it was a little down on power and struggled through the higher RPM's. Though the redline is around 10,000, the best time to shift seems to be around 4-5,000. I am going to run some seafoam through it later on this week to see if it straightens it out but I am thinking it may need a carb cleaning. I wanted to check and make sure that it wasn't a common problem or something that might be more serious. Thanks for any help!

daddyrack

Premium Member

Bert-Aus

Could be worth running some steel wool through the headers and repacking the exhaust. Sometimes on old bikes the exhaust can be so sooted up that the engine cannot exhale, thus choking the engine
Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Taco

Thanks for the replies and help guys! I'll try and move over to another forum for older bikes but I think a carb cleaning is pretty much necessary anyway so we'll probably go ahead and do that. The exhaust on it is stock, I think. I really can't tell haha it looks and sounds stock-ish, but I'll see about cleaning her up a bit and seeing if that smooths it out. Thanks again guys!