40mm Ammo Cans for luggage?

Anyone do this? I've seen pictures on Google, and a couple sets of instructions on cruisers, but our bikes are a tad different when it comes to mounting options.

A coworker explained that I could attach it to the foot peg with some brackets connected to the grab bar mount points. I don't ride with a passenger, so I don't mind loosing those pegs. Problem is that there are no holes, or bosses that I can drill to attach the can to. Plus the bracket is mounted with rubber isolators, which might cause excessive vibration on the can.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or, if you have made your own brackets for side cases.

Bert-Aus

I made my own racks for some Givi panniers (see below)
I copied them from the genuine racks (pdf mounting instructions I was able to find) that had gone out of production.

original thread here

Well, I went and bought a couple cans at the local surplus store for $30/ea. Got home and roughed out what the mounting would look like. Made up a list of materials, and went out today and spent another $60 on 3/4" square tube, hardware, paint, etc. I'm still short a couple things, but I can make those tomorrow at work. I'll weld everything up, and bend some brackets to hang from the grab bar mounts.

List of materials:
2x 24"x3/4" square tube for lower bracket
16"x3/4" square tube for cross bar
48" 1/8"x3/4" flat stock for top brackets and L-brackets that I'll bend
8x 5/16-18 button head bolts, nuts, washers, lock washers, rubber washers.
2x .825"x1"x3-4" blocks that get bolted to the foot peg
2x 1-3/4" 5/16-18 bolts, nuts, washers, lock washers

IMG_2816.jpg
The red block will be machined at work out of 1" bar stock. I'll weld the 3/4" square tube behind it (blue part). On that I'll weld L-brackets that I'll bolt the cans to. I'll attach the 16" crossbar between the two cans to keep them off the tires. The cans will be about 2-2.5" below the top plane of the grab bar, and follow it's angle. I haven't decided on how far fore or aft the cans will mount, but I'm thinking that they'll be even with the front edge of the back seat.

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Well they will definitely be sturdy with that much steel tubing!

Don't forget to have a cross member at the lower rear corners
(arch up high to allow clearance for rear wheel)
to reduce the rear corners wobbling at speed/ high wind

Well, I got the lower brackets welded up. Tomorrow I'll take them to work, and grind the welds clean. I might drill the bolt holes too while I'm there. Now I just need to make the top brackets, and drill holes in the ammo cans, then assemble everything.

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

They're not completely finished, but I got the cans mounted up to the lower brackets. Also welded in the cross brace. I'm thinking I might regret where I put it, but I can cut it off and move it if I need to. Still need to bend the top brackets from the grab bar, and get longer bolts to install them. Drill some more holes in the cans, trim the lower brackets, weld caps on, tear everything apart, paint it, and I will be done.

IMG_2830.jpgIMG_2829.jpgIMG_2828.jpgIMG_2826.jpgIMG_2825.jpgIMG_2824.jpgIMG_2822.jpg

defiant26

Nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk