2012 FZ6R Shifting Issues

xChapterxFourx

Hey guys,

I bought my '12 FZ6R last May (2013) and recently 1st-N-2nd have been giving me issues.

I've been cruising along and have had the transmission jump from 2nd and 1st back to Neutral, while other times I've had to be pretty forceful with getting the bike to move from gear to gear in that range. I've read on here that the FZ-series transmissions are somewhat clunky, but clunky doesn't equal gear jumping in my book.

The manufacturer's warranty goes up in about a month so I was planning on taking it into the dealership to see what they had to say, but I figured I would ask the community first to see if it was a common problem.

Also, is the manufacturer's warranty honored at ANY Yamaha dealership, or is it only honored where you purchased the bike from? I moved to Houston from Dallas right after I got the bike is why I ask.

Thanks in advance.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

I certainly don't have that issue but if warranty is up in a month you bet I would bring it in, at least get it on record so if it goes belly up in a month you can say hey I brought it in before the warranty and your idiots said it was fine. And as someone said any authorized Yamaha dealer can do it. If they sell new yamahas you should be good to go. I don't think the trans is horrible in comparison to say my brothers ninja but I have not ridden more than 3 or 4 different sport bikes.

Crpngdth

I'm not saying this is definitely the case but I'd bet dollars to donuts the clutch cable is too tight as well as it doesn't take a whole lot of pressure from the foot to shift this bike and you probably applying just enough pressure prior to shifting to go between gears. The only reason I believe this to be the case is because its only 1st and 2nd gear causing the issue. If it was higher gears I'd say it would definitely be mechanical rather than a form issue. Just my opinion.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Very plausible. Should check the clutch for free play which is .39"-.59" so about 1/4 to 3/8". It's the distance measured from the time the lever moves and you actual get to cable pull. If not within spec it will cause problems.
is that normal after not even a year? or would something cause it to slacken or something? Mine is only 2 months newer than his.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

xChapterxFourx

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I should have clarified...the bike had the initial break-in maintenance done at the Yamaha dealership 6 months back (1200 miles ago, I have ~1800 miles total).

I got home yesterday and decided to take it out for a spin to see if it acted up more in certain conditions (hot/cold/high or low in the rev range). Before I left I decided to adjust the clutch cable since the last time it was done was when it was in for the break-in maintenance....and that ended up being the issue.

Now it shifts fine (it honestly caught me a little off guard a few times with shifting quickly from 1st-2nd)...no issues with popping out of gear or anything like that.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member