2012 FZ6R Mods - Priorities

heymikey

I just picked up my new 2012 FZ6R, color Raven, yesterday....4.6.12. I had to ride about 110 miles home on interstate following my girl-friend when the guy in a KIA Sorento passed me on the right and dropped in between me and my girl-friend in a very tight aggressive move. When he passed the car in right lane, he made another aggressive lane change cutting off the car in the right lane and punched it. I decided to roll up there, and point at him and give him the NY City wave. As I was rolling up, my speed was leveling off and I glanced down and was doing 126. I couldn't catch the KIA at 126! Yeah, I know it was stupid, but he cut me off. Don't post any blast....I'll work on anger management.

When i bought the bike, I wanted to buy the Two Brothers 4-2-1 and a Juice Box. The shop was more than happy to order it, but I live over 100 miles away. The more I think about it, the more I think $1,100 - $1,500 is a lot to drop onto mods for a bike I got for $7,000. I think the bike could sound a lot better, it is very quiet and hard to hear at throttle changes at speed.

So, my questions are these. What are the best values out there for mods? Should I be looking at a different pipe? Does the Juicebox make that big a difference? Do I need to change exhaust and pipe at the same time? What should I do first?

I want a little more protection from the wind....is the FZ6R tinted bubble windshield worth the $100? Appreciate any input.

daddyrack

Premium Member
Last edited:

Bikegirl88

I assume the Kia had a good headstart because I can not imagine that vehicle being able to do 126 mph. Even if dropped out of an airplane it would only reach terminal velocity which I believe is 122 mph.

Detrich

U sure it wasn't 126kmph? lol. x_X. j/k

Even a 3500 lb Kia is a deadly weapon in the hands of a dangerous driver.

Count your blessings and don't let road rage get the better of you. :)

yfz6r

On the ride home from buying a brand new bike you push the motor to 126?

Every motor has a break in period. Take care of your stuff man.

JimmyC

a KIA at 126 and it didn't fall apart..LOL...was it in KM/Hr instead of MPH...any way check out MARTHY Exhaust....Best bang for the Buck, and as for a fuel controller goes don't bother until you change exhaust, I would buy the Power Commander 5 vs. the TB Juice Box...Much better control of Fuel. Use The Search Feature on the Forum there are a ton
of exhaust Threads and many other helpful topics.....Congrats on the new bike!

Chucker

Fork and shock springs and heavier oil, all matched to your weight and riding style, are the best bang for your buck. For around $300 you can give your bike the best performance upgrade available.

325iSBimmer

On the ride home from buying a brand new bike you push the motor to 126?

Every motor has a break in period. Take care of your stuff man.
Ditto that!^^^

I also just picked up my brand new 2012 FZ6R Raven last week and as per the owners manual (and sales guy recommendation, not to mention common sense) I haven't revved it past 6000RPM (or held constant throttle for extended periods of time) which also mean I haven't gone much over 110 km/h and I'm 500 km into the 1000 km break-in period. (of which so far I've enjoy every km thats passed on this first street bike of mine):D

So lets hope for the sake of all the starving children in the world he meant 126 km/h (which would only be sightly past the 6000RPM recommended break in limit) and not 126 mph which, correct me if I'm wrong, is basically the top speed at close to redline in 6th gear. :eek:

Disclaimer: I realize there are many varying opinions on "how to break in an engine", but I'm of the opinion that what the engineers and R&D department at Yamaha have deemed as the proper procedure to hold more merit than what some "online engine builder expert" has posted. just my $0.02

EDIT: Oh and to add something of constructive value to what was originally asked. I had the Yamaha Raised Bubble Dark Smoke windshield installed before I picked up the bike, but it does seem to do a decent job at deflecting wind but you need to be in at least a half-tuck position to take advantage. I can't really compare because I took the stock clear windshield home with me in a box.

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

Fork and shock springs and heavier oil, all matched to your weight and riding style, are the best bang for your buck. For around $300 you can give your bike the best performance upgrade available.
great advice, it is very soft. I would add, redo the brakes, better pads and steel braided lines. if the FZ6R is your 1st only bike then you might not know better, brakes are sub-par

yfz6r

Should I be looking at a different pipe? Does the Juicebox make that big a difference? Do I need to change exhaust and pipe at the same time? What should I do first?

I want a little more protection from the wind....is the FZ6R tinted bubble windshield worth the $100? Appreciate any input.
If you want more noise, search for the thread about modding the stock exhaust to make it louder. Super easy to do.

You can't change the pipe without the entire exhaust on this bike. It is all one piece. You can cut it off and weld a new can on if you are capable.

The yamaha bubble shield has a lot of bad comments. Try a lip first.

And break your motor in. Change the oil frequently at first to get the metal shavings out of there.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member