2011 FZ6R Break in.

NightWolf

Hey everyone.
This is my first post .

I have just upgraded my bike , to a FZ6R , I pick it up on tuesday , its the 2011 with 0 kms on the clock. I have to get it home from the bike shop ( home is 100 kms from the yamaha store. ) I need to know the best way to break it in? is it going to be fine to ride 100kms home? as far as i know its never even been started before? would you recommend taking it home by trailer? or is it safe to ride it home? what is the best way to break in a new yamaha fz6r? or any other bike for that matter????

CHEERS A BUNDLE!!!
HAPPY AND SAFE RIDING TO YOU ALL!:D

ClickClick5

Just ride it easy. Be slow on the revs and such for the first 500 (thus, no trying to pull wheelies). Then do as you wish. Vary your speed and gearing. Stop in like 25km and let the motor cool, then go another 25km, etc. Don't push it past 6k to often on the ride home and keep the motor around 4-6k....play within that area home. When you get home, change the oil and filter to remove the metal shaving build up in the filter.

I just rode mine when I got it.

Best note would be to just be gentle. Treat the bike as if it is a new puppy you just brought home, no need to try to teach it tricks or make it run in the park right now...so to speak.

Little note: When the motors come off the assembly line, they are revved to the red-line for HP testing. If they fall within a set range, the motor is passed on, if the motor fails the set HP, the motor is sent back to be examined. So, your 0 mile/km engine has already met the 12,000 rpm rev.

Enjoy the bike! AND welcome to fz6r-forum!

Last edited:

Stricken

I would say ride it just like you would ride a broken-in bike. As soon as you get home, I recommend you change the oil and the oil filter.

bigguybbr

For starters yes it is safe to drive home. It won't however have 0 miles on the odometer. Bikes exported from japan arrive with "some assembly required", so the mechanic putting together bikes at your dealership will have tested it out a little before you ever get a chance to get on it. So yes, feel free to ride it home, but don't be suprised that the odometer isn't at 0.

When riding home on that first trip, don't ride too slow in too high a gear and bog it down by doing lets say 30mph in 6th gear where the tac is around 1.5 to 2k rpm, that's not good for it. Also, avoid riding home on the highway where the tac will sit at a constant low rpm, thats not great for it either.

Try and take back roads home and shift through all the gears while keeping below 5-6k rpm. I would just follow the owners manual for break in unless you want to do the motoman break in on your bike (Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power).

I'm sure there are a 100's of posts on here about breaking in and what everyone's opinion is, so try using the search feature. The 2011 Fz6R is the same as the 09' and '10 just with different paint schemes (and a higher price tag) available.

Last edited:

CDN6R

Click Click 5::: That has to be one of the best new bike break-in explainations I have ever read. Wonderful!:thumbup:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

3 key points.

1. Don't over-rev it. Stay below 6000 RPM for the first 500-600 miles.
2. Vary your engine speed. Avoid droning at long at one speed. Change gears a lot.
3. Give it lots of throttle between 3000 and 6000 RPM. This puts pressure on the rings and helps seat them properly.

Other than this, you don't need to baby it. Babying it can result in poorly seated rings and an oil-burner. Just don't go nuts.

NightWolf

Thankyou everyone

Too all the above Users , who have replied and helped me out ! --> HERES A HUGE ---> " THANKYOU "!!!

Really did give me an idea of what needed to be done. I used advice of all users and other research here on the Forums.!!!

Thankyou all very much for taking the time to respond!

I Rode my bike home today. Very happy with the FZ6R !

Heres a pic or to for you guys !

Safe riding everyone:steve::steve:

For starters yes it is safe to drive home. It won't however have 0 miles on the odometer. Bikes exported from japan arrive with "some assembly required", so the mechanic putting together bikes at your dealership will have tested it out a little before you ever get a chance to get on it. So yes, feel free to ride it home, but don't be suprised that the odometer isn't at 0.

When riding home on that first trip, don't ride too slow in too high a gear and bog it down by doing lets say 30mph in 6th gear where the tac is around 1.5 to 2k rpm, that's not good for it. Also, avoid riding home on the highway where the tac will sit at a constant low rpm, thats not great for it either.

Try and take back roads home and shift through all the gears while keeping below 5-6k rpm. I would just follow the owners manual for break in unless you want to do the motoman break in on your bike (Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power).

I'm sure there are a 100's of posts on here about breaking in and what everyone's opinion is, so try using the search feature. The 2011 Fz6R is the same as the 09' and '10 just with different paint schemes (and a higher price tag) available.
not true. my bike is in storage right now, and it DOES have 0 km on it